• 2 RF16 Delaware & Hudson are in Northern Michigan

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by LCJ

I believe they were property of Monongahela for a while as well.

by Engineer James

That's Increadable!!! Those look brand new!! And they were taken 3 years before they were picture by Mr. Shmidt on the Michigan Northern in September 76'!! :-D Well, that even give the more reason to repair them!! I mean ok maybe 15 mil was too much. But, how much can a new crank for an RF16 be?? How rare are they??

Are there any other RF16's in or on live rail in the United States???

Thanks for the info LCJ!!!

Keep on Posting with any new suggestions on how to save these 2 RF16's! :P :-D
  by Engineer James

Hey Read this from: wvrail.railfan.net/mga_past.html.

The RF16's were bought from the NYC in the 60's and [u]all[/u] of them, suffered a crank failure!!! Thats amazing!!! ALL OF them caused a crank failure and problems!!! Even the B units which are not shown!! :-D :-D
We have found out the Truth. The main story below:

An unexpected jump in coal traffic in 1967 found the MRY in short supply of power, resulting in the company purchasing seven NYC RF-16A and one NYC RF-16B for a price of $6000 each. These units were therefore dubbed expendable and although no more than three units were in service at one time, as each locomotive would suffer a mechanical failure, another unit would be started up and put in it's place. The Sharks operated almost exlusively on the East Division until the final ones were sold in 1974. Monongahela Rwy. #1216 & 1205 at S. Brownsville. 1973

This is too cool!!!!

by Aji-tater

Here's something that will really make you cry - until a few years ago there was the shell of a shark "B" unit sitting around in PA. I believe it was without trucks but still.....unfortunately it got the torch instead of preservation. It's sad to say, but maybe if the 2 in Michigan were healthy and in the public eye, someone might have been moved to save the B. There may be more about this on the Baldwin forum.

by Komachi

Aji,

That "B" was one of the Pensylvania's 251 rebuilds if I'm not misaken. It was turned into a wheeled trailer (like what a tractor-trailer semi would tow around) as a portable generator for a scrapyard there in PA. However, it remained attached to a shovel (like the kind they have in iron ore or coal mines) until the scrapyard closed. To them, I'm sure, it was just another piece of metal that was unutilized profit sitting around, which is why they put the torch to it.

I'll say it again kids, it's fun to dream, but from what I've read about Larkin and his attitude and his love of Baldwins, state mandate as significant, historical antiquities or not and no matter how much cash you offer him, HE WILL NOT LET THOSE SHARKS OUT OF HIS POSESSION.

Not trying to be the fly in the ointment here, but those are the facts (well, as far as I know them... based on hearsay gathered here and on other railroad/railfan sites). The sharks are his and he isn't going to give them up.
  by SOU2645

The RF16's do NOT belong to the E&LS or Mr. Larkin - they are privately owned by the individual who owns Castolite Inc. He has owned them since D&H retired them in 1978. E&LS leased them for a time after Michigan Northern did and he has had them stored there since they both suffered failures in the early 1980's.
SOU2645

by Typewriters

I looked at that site on the Monongahela which was quoted in this string; excellent stuff there, and great pictures.

I do want to note though, that if you go back to it you'll note that it does not specifically mention crankshaft failure as having been a specific failure mechanism causing the units to be retired -- only mechanical failure of some kind. Meaning, probably, anything requiring overhaul of the engine but also probably including anything like a need to replace a main generator.

Incidentally, I don't have the exact specification here, but the crankshaft of an 8-cylinder VO weighed 4,400 lbs. Knowing how much stronger the 608A crank was (and the difference in measurements such as crank pin diameter and bearing size) the 608A crank has to be around 5,000 lbs., give or take a little. Wonder if the equipment to repair that exists up there where they are? Anybody know specifically how bad the crank is in the failed engine?

-Will Davis
  by Komachi

SOU2645,

From what I recall, Castolite Inc. went under in the early/mid-80's and Larkin bought the assets of the company... namely the railroad. Hense, he owns the railroad and the sharks.

At least that's what I've gleaned from what I've read. Which means I could be wrong and have my facts mixed up, however, in what I've read on various sites and whatnot, Larkin's name is synonomous with ownership of the sharks. Not trying to argue with you, or start a fight, just standing by what I've read/heard.

(Scans audience from soapbox) Are there any Baldwin guys out there who know this story inside-out who can verify facts/set the record straight here?

by Engineer James

Komachi,
Ok, I can really understand your point, Larkin, won't give em up. What I am trying to say is is there anyway nicely to get larkin to give em up?? :-D But, as you said, he Won't! Does anyone else know of any other RF16 sharks on live rail in the US?? Did Mononohala, sell, any others to any other railroads, or shortlines, that are not owned by Larkin??
  by SOU2645

[quote="Komachi"]SOU2645,

From what I recall, Castolite Inc. went under in the early/mid-80's and Larkin bought the assets of the company... namely the railroad. Hense, he owns the railroad and the sharks.

Castolite never owned E&LS that I know of. Larkin does own the RR as for the sharks - he is not the owner AFAIK - they are privately owned by the same man who originally aquired them in 1978. He is the one who reportedly mandated that they be locked away - and after the 1984 break in's on E&LS - Larkin was all too happy to oblige. I would think that regardless of his anti fan stance if Larkin himself owned the Baldwins he would probably have them running again.
SOU2645

by Hoosier Joe

I read that Baldwin exported some to a South American railroad,they might be a different gage then ours.
  by SOU2645

Argentina got RF615E's from BLH. They look alot different than domestic sharks and are AIA (like PRR DR 64 2000 sharks). SMS Railines has purchased a derelict unit and will be bringing it to the USA at some point. It needs all sorts of mechanical and cosmetic work. These are 5'6" guage units and I would think they would have to retrofit to domestic guage to use it if they can get it running ever again. 3 others exist in Argentina as well and at least 1 is restored.
SOU2645

by Hoosier Joe

Your right,I found a picture and the nose looks a lot different.Its nice some are still around .

by Engineer James

Amen,
Maybe we don't have to get into it. But, does anyone know if the Monoagahala sold any to US rail lines or short lines?? And, if so are they owned by Larkin. Or, did Baldwin sell any to any other rail lines besides the NYC??? And the D&H??

Post replies!!!! :P :P :P

by Alcoman

Bad prime movers????? Just re-engine them with Alco 251's....That has been done before...Hehehe....

Of course, if you sent them to SMS, they will fix em!