• 1/8th G5s update...New Pic added

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

Just seeing how this all works.
Anyway, here is an update on my live steam LIRR G5s # 21

Smokebox:
I just got it back from the machine shop and have about 1/4 of the 390 rivets installed. After the rivets are installed, I will sand blast to remove the coating on the rivet heads and remove scribe marks. Then I will locate the holes for the generator platform and conduit posts. I should have that all done by Sunday moring if things arent too buisy at work. I will turn the smoke box front to proper O.D. and start drilling all the bolt holes for mounting and smoke box dogs (maybe) sometime next week.

Frame:
The frame is complete including binders, spreaders, axles and jounal boxes. There is one piece to machine prior to shipping and that is the end plates for the cylinders. They need to be machined to the frame, then removed for cylinder fabrication. Once the end plate is done, then the frame will be shipped from Pennsylvania. Next up for the frame (once it arrives) is making the spring packs, and the rest of the suspension rigging.

Pilot truck:
The pilot truck plans arrived via email last Monday. One of the boiler makers I work with will be going to the main shop in L.A. today and he will burn the side frames and equalizer bars on the pantagraph plasma cutter while he's there. It doesn't get much better than that! Another friend has the bolster, spreader, and heart link plans as of yesterday and he will machine them for me some time by the end of the month.

Below is the smokebox with all rivets added and given a coat of high temp paint. Builders plate is not attached with fastners yet.

A special thank you to Don and the rest of the RMLI gang and to Steve of "Friends of 35" for suppling photos and counting rivets for me!
Last edited by Paul on Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Paul

= )

by BEDT16RMLI

awsome whats next a 16" version to operate at Rmli wishfull thinking LOL

by Paul

Well, If I had bill Gates' money it would have already been done.

by Alcoman

Lets see you build the"Old Rivets" GG-1 like that.!

by Paul

Hey John, You buy it...I'll build it. Hmmmm...wonder how many hp I could coax out a a 1/8 251?

by Paul

Here is (finally) a picture of the frame.