• 1.5 hours at Game Farm Rd, Selkirk/Unionville, NY

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by roberttosh

Spent an hour and a half at Game Farm Rd on Thursday afternoon, which is just West of Selkirk yard in what I think is Unionville, NY. In that short period of time, saw 5 WB's (4 Intermodals and one manifest) and 2 EB's (1 Intermodal & 1 Unit Ethanol train). A few of those Intermodal trains were gigantic, had to be close to two miles long!! I knew this line was busy, but was surprised to see that many trains.

by rocketman

Oddly enough it sure seems like traffic is going back up after a year long slump.

by Conrail4evr

csxchris wrote:Oddly enough it sure seems like traffic is going back up after a year long slump.
I've been noticing more extras being run lately, which is a good thing given the situation with the furloughed guys. Progressive Railroading says traffic is supposed to turn around in 2008 and go nowhere but up in 2009, so hopefully their predictions are correct...time will tell.

by SimTrains

I, and the other 54 guys who are laid off in Buffalo sure hope you are right Nick! :(

by rocketman

Conrail4evr wrote:
csxchris wrote:Oddly enough it sure seems like traffic is going back up after a year long slump.
I've been noticing more extras being run lately, which is a good thing given the situation with the furloughed guys. Progressive Railroading says traffic is supposed to turn around in 2008 and go nowhere but up in 2009, so hopefully their predictions are correct...time will tell.
We may be experiencing increasing traffic right now, but I don't think we'll really see the real surge until the economy completely turns around. The extras may be a result of backed up traffic from the Canastota wreck. These gas prices have to come down back to what they were before OPEC got greedy. I think once that happens - then we'll see the furloughed employees come back.

by conrail_engineer

csxchris wrote:
Conrail4evr wrote:
We may be experiencing increasing traffic right now, but I don't think we'll really see the real surge until the economy completely turns around. The extras may be a result of backed up traffic from the Canastota wreck. These gas prices have to come down back to what they were before OPEC got greedy. I think once that happens - then we'll see the furloughed employees come back.
Then the young guys are hosed - because gas prices are NOT going down.

The Ethanol-requirement component of the Energy Bill made sure of that...ethanol is neither a very good nor very cheap fuel and its use is going to keep gas over $2 a gallon no matter WHAT the Arabs do.