• yet another Guilford derailment... 8/24

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by p&w3901

On Monday, August 24, a Guilford unit traveling through Greenfield, MA, had one car lose a set of trucks. This train then continued down the tracks for a mile or so, traveling over three separate trestles in the downtown area, before finally coming to a stop. The covered hopper was held up by the couplers of the adjoining cars, one of which was a taker containing sulfuric acid. Guilford attributes the incident to "mechanical failure"..... A photo of this is available at www.recorder.com
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is Guilford, who is also the owner of one of the worst paint schemes in the East.......

by MEC407

Apparently they had a derailment somewhere in central Maine today as well. Dragged the car for 5 miles before the crew got word from the dispatcher, who received word from the police, who received word from an observant railfan.

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
And they say we Railfans don't do any work while trackside! Guess I'll be giving a few more roll bys!
cya, Joey
  by p&w3901

that seems to be a common thread about Guilford derailments. The one in Greenfield was reported by a bystander who saw the "car fall off the wheels and fire come out [sic] from underneath..." He then called 911, and no pun intended, set the wheels in motion. Maybe they should hire folks with cell phones to stand trackside and monitor the condition of their trains.......

by NellsChoo

... and railroads want to do away with railfans... THIS is my point, a railfan is more likely to report a safety issue than a regular person!! Then again, we have been watching freight go over rotten ties a long time now, and said nothing.... ehem.... :wink:

When you think of it, given the condition of local rails, it is amazing we don't hear about a disaster a day!

by mick

The Shelf Type coupler on the Sulfuric Acid tank car did it's job. It kept the car upright.
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by eotd

p&w3901 wrote:On Monday, August 24, a Guilford unit traveling through Greenfield, MA, had one car lose a set of trucks. .......
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is Guilford, who is also the owner of one of the worst paint schemes in the East.......
Hahahahahahahah....
Only a railfan would report a violent and perilous derailment AND manage to bitch about the paint scheme of the engines at the same time.
  by MEC407

eotd wrote:a violent and perilous derailment
Violent and perilous? That's a bit overly dramatic, isn't it? The cars stayed upright... nothing spilled... doesn't sound too violent or perilous to me!

For what it's worth, there was a recent discussion on this forum regarding favorite and least-favorite paint schemes. I think that's what the person was referring to, rather than trying to diminish the seriousness of the derailment.
  by eotd

MEC407 wrote:
eotd wrote:a violent and perilous derailment
Violent and perilous? That's a bit overly dramatic, isn't it? The cars stayed upright... nothing spilled... doesn't sound too violent or perilous to me!

For what it's worth, there was a recent discussion on this forum regarding favorite and least-favorite paint schemes. I think that's what the person was referring to, rather than trying to diminish the seriousness of the derailment.
Well, a derailment is nothing I'd like to be around for, nor very close by. Nevertheless, it was merely said in jest, and without cognizance of that particular thread.

-e
  by p&w3901

my reference to the color of the rolling tomato soup cans (Guilford power) was actually a cross reference to the best and worst paint scheme discussion also going on here