• Yard at Maspeth Avenue in Queens

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Legio X

Maybe Jay or the Duke can enlighten us.....

by jayrmli

The switch to Metropolitan Industries (across Rust Street) is still connected, but unused. NYAR used to service Coors back there in the "early years." Coors is now serviced through Manhattan Beer on the Bay Ridge and soon on the Bushwick.

If you saw freight cars in Maspeth Yard and no switching, we were probably in one of the sidings out of sight in the back. My conductor works us like dogs...dogs I tell you!!!

Jay
  by Knife-Switch

OK boys first we're gonna do Yard A see....then over to Allied yeah...and then to Maspeth I tell ya....we'll get it all done see and never mind that roustabout!!!!!

by Legio X

One of the cars, maybe the white UP reefer, was being unloaded when I passed by. A truck was backed up to the open door on the side facing Rust St.

by Legio X

The spur to Metropolitan Industries has been cleaned up on the north side of Rust Street. The garbage has been cleared, and a new gate installed, I guess to help prevent illegal dumping. Is this due to a new customer possibly? The connection to the Montauk Branch is still obstructed, but it appears to just be overgrown with brush. There was also a parked car on the track.

by Legio X

Anybody know anything in response to the last post in this topic, Jay, perhaps....

by mainline

Jay's off the 40 and back on the RS 60. I don't think anyone from the RS 40 crew is online.

by jayrmli

Yes, the Lower Montauk is a foriegn railroad to me once again.

Jay

by Legio X

NYA tore up the trackage that crosses 58 St., north of the yard by the Coca-Cola facility. The crossing was very, very rough on cars. Too bad NYA has lost another spur....

by Legio X

I guess Coca-Cola could, if they chose to return to rail service, be served team yard-style at Maspeth Yard. Tankcars of corn syrup and the other soft drink ingredients could be spotted and unloaded in the yard. Other rolling stock, such as insulated boxcars, could also be spotted there. With the high price of gasoline and diesel, it could benefit Coke's bottom line to be served by rail. NYA's marketing people should draw up a proposal for Coke....

by CR6618

Legio X wrote:NYA's marketing people should draw up a proposal for Coke....
Who says they haven't?

The railroad has tried to work things out with Coke for years.

by The Workers

Actually, NYA has shipped "coke" in the past. A few tons of it were delivered to these nice mexican gentlemen at a newly rented warehouse on the Bushwick branch. It was shipped in tank cars of course. However, the D.E.A. has taken this customer away from NYA. :wink:

by jayrmli

NYAR Marketing had tried for years to get Coca Cola to come back to ship by rail, and they were dead set against it. Removing the crossing was the only sensible thing left to do. No sense in maintaining it.

Jay
  by freightguy

"If the crews sees the tank cars(corn syrup) connected they're gonna leave." This is what one of our individuals in marketing told Coca-Cola in Maspeth at the time! However this was offset by regainging Riverhead Builders so the aforementioned marketing person claims. Remember "garbage".......... Sorry guys couldn't resist :(

by Legio X

What's the latest on Maspeth Yard? Any new customers getting served in a team yard capacity at Maspeth? What about the cleaned up spur to Metropolitan Industries across Rust St.? Is someone getting served there?