• Y126, Gray and not Yellow?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Engineer James

Someone who probably work in Melrose Park Il, has probably seen this ex-B30-7 (ex-SP #7856). Now, I understand shes a RCPU, but why paint her in Gray and not the UP Yellow?

by roee

Engineer James wrote:Someone who probably work in Melrose Park Il, has probably seen this ex-B30-7 (ex-SP #7856). Now, I understand shes a RCPU, but why paint her in Gray and not the UP Yellow?
The painted it gray because it's an RCL Sled. It is useless unless it's connected to a locomotive. This way it makes it easier to identify, and so it's know that it doesn't add to the HP of the consist. All this train has is the RCL equipment, but no motor or fuel tank or traction motors.

by gp9rm4108

I would imagine it would have to have the traction motors. Slugs have traction motors for extra adhesion. Do they really just drag that around dead weight. If so, thats pretty terrible.

by GOLDEN-ARM

If you imagine it has to have traction motors, you imagine wrong. It is a radio signal receiver, that connects to a working loco, nothing more. As mentioned, the color makes it easy to spot, the windows prevent you from riding inside, while operating it, and the need for any weight adding parts, is non existent. ANY loco can be used as a remote, when coupled to the "sled". It is light, to reduce the power needed to move it, allowing power to be used to move cars being switched. No need to try to "think" for the UP, Jimmy, they have their paint scheme planning well under control................ :P

by Engineer James

That's fine. Just noticed the wierd paint job, and thought I'd ask.