Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Erie-Lackawanna

My moment is up.

Jim
Last edited by Erie-Lackawanna on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by diffusedmind

Tommy Meehan wrote:When they're in trouble they want all the help they can get as fast as they can get it.
That's right. They hear a 10-13* over the radio and every cop and their mother responds to it. Not to mention at least one firetruck and an ambulance. Hell, I even know of a 10-13 being called in Far Rockaway and the Nassau PD showed up as well. As the NYPD motto goes: "Fidelis ad mortem."

I wouldn't criticize the MTAPD one bit for responding to another agencies request for help.

* 10-13 is the radio code for officer needs assistance; usually interpreted as get your ass there quick
  by truck6018

diffusedmind wrote: I wouldn't criticize the MTAPD one bit for responding to another agencies request for help.
I'm sure the number of times that the local police assist the MTA PD is more than the number of times the MTA PD assists others. At the end of the day who cares what the name on car says. As long as help is provided.
  by please-explain

Thank you for the references to "Darwin."

it took a few days but I found some, though not sure exactly how to search, if you would want to post links.

Also, could you kindly post on what you have read that brings you to personally suggest "excessive" claims? Many thanks, will look for more here.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

please-explain wrote:Thank you for the references to "Darwin."

it took a few days but I found some, though not sure exactly how to search, if you would want to post links.

Also, could you kindly post on what you have read that brings you to personally suggest "excessive" claims? Many thanks, will look for more here.
He won't be posting anything, as his account was suspended.

Jim
  by please-explain

Ok well thanks anyway for coming back on this. There is d. little documentation on Metro North Green Lane Railroad Crossing and a great deal of speculation and strong opinion. Maybe someone will provide some info or views. It's an active forum.
  by truck6018

please-explain wrote:Ok well thanks anyway for coming back on this. There is d. little documentation on Metro North Green Lane Railroad Crossing and a great deal of speculation and strong opinion. Maybe someone will provide some info or views. It's an active forum.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say but what speculation and opinion do you speak of? Read the opening post to the thread from a news source:
But while that Metro-North Railroad crossing ranks as the one with the greatest probability of an accident in Westchester, and ranks 13th in the state, it is not the riskiest in the Lower Hudson Valley.
Over the years there have been numerous incidents at the Green Lane crossing including ones where a GPS allegedly "told" the driver to turn onto the tracks. This is just one incident of many that does not create any speculation or opinion, just facts.
  by please-explain

Thanks for the conversation and your specific example. Yes as to the stories about GPS systems we can point to (alleged) facts that we have read and get somewhat of a clear picture.

In my question I was asking (Tommy?) what the facts were he read t- hat brought him to say claims about Green Lane Crossing, in current stories, lead to the conclusion of "excessive" claims. That is, what facts or alleged facts he has read support the idea of "excessive." This was just a question in trying to follow the posts.

Not to argue about it, just to try to get to a more factual discussion, as you have provided about other incidents.

If we could find out what was read to draw that conclusion we would indeed as you point out be getting closer to a factual discussion. But from another post I believe I read he will not be discussing that railroad crossing right away (if he is not currently in the forum). Appreciate your example. Hope this clarifies or at least is a start.
  by Tommy Meehan

please-explain wrote:In my question I was asking (Tommy?) what the facts were he read that brought him to say claims about Green Lane Crossing, in current stories, lead to the conclusion of "excessive" claims.....But from another post I believe I read he will not be discussing that railroad crossing right away....
It wasn't me that wrote that, but you're right that the person who did make the comment won't be discussing it any time soon. At least not here.
  by please-explain

Apologies for mistake in who posted. Thanks for clarification and any comments on the topic.

Here's an attempt at data-driven query, as many of you are railroad experts. If not well-asked, kindly reshape:

Comparing to now, or what could be in the future, what's known about the scene at night at Green Lane Railroad Crossing in Bedford New York five or so years ago or even before - and maybe representative of still existing sites elsewhere? Who has sense memory of same? To say excessive claim about the location needs some sort of base line ... something read, something observed... Or doesn't it? That's conjecture- please explain.
  by truck6018

please-explain wrote:Apologies for mistake in who posted. Thanks for clarification and any comments on the topic.

Here's an attempt at data-driven query, as many of you are railroad experts. If not well-asked, kindly reshape:

Comparing to now, or what could be in the future, what's known about the scene at night at Green Lane Railroad Crossing in Bedford New York five or so years ago or even before - and maybe representative of still existing sites elsewhere? Who has sense memory of same? To say excessive claim about the location needs some sort of base line ... something read, something observed... Or doesn't it? That's conjecture- please explain.
Here's a link to the USDOT-FRA website: http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofS ... &xingpos=1

You can access accident reports from any of the grade crossings on the system.
  by please-explain

Thank you, have indeed known of the website but =>the <= posting of information resources is much appreciated. Wondering if there are other resources as well.

Not sure how to get folks to consider what is supposed to be "excessive" => responses or claims <= yet, since it's not been clarified by the => prior post person <= or indeed elsewhere where the bloggers are pretty rough house; but awareness how many things happen ON the tracks and get reported as NEAR the tracks in various renditions might help.

A reader imagining him or => herself < = ON the tracks might take a more somber view of places like "Green Lane" Railroad Crossing , if there are indeed other places like it... but, who knows. (?)