• wood chip hoppers

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by oldho

Hello. I'm new on here, a friend sent me a link to the site, so I joined. I am trying to build a fleet of wood chip railcars and need help in finding information and photographs of prototype cars.
I am interested in photos of the BM Woodsville cars, PTM chip hoppers, and MEC chip hoppers. I've found general outlines of roster numbers and a couple of views of a couple of these type cars, but as far as specific construction features of individual cars, not much. Thanks for any help in advance. perley
  by downeaster

Welcome to the forum my "oldho" friend.
Good luck in your search, hope you find what you are looking for.
J
  by bumthum

What scale are you working with?

For N scale - Bluford did a run of hoppers for B&M that were the basis for the modified wood chip cars and some were used in wood chip service with out modification. http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_005.htm about half way down the page. Bluford list them as stone/gravel service but there are plenty of pictures of them being used in woodchip service.

In HO I would guess that 3 Bay 70 Ton Offset Hoppers and some decals would do the trick nicely. If you wanted to extended sides you could whip some up out of styrene.