• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Trainlover479

Yah you are true on that...ive overlooked 501 several times and it seems in good shape. But the 250 is in need of restoration efforts to make sure it survives.
  by MEC407

Note from the co-moderator:

This isn't the place to discuss Conway Scenic or MEC 501. Let's stick to Wolfeboro 250, please. I understand that Conway Scenic and 501 were being used as examples to prove a point, but the point has been made and I don't want this turning into another CSRX thread. Thanks.
  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote:Yah you are true on that...ive overlooked 501 several times and it seems in good shape. But the 250 is in need of restoration efforts to make sure it survives.
Turning to my favorite WW2 action/adventure/comedy;
to paraphrase Moriarity the "mechanical genius":
"It's a piece of junk, Oddball! The steam delivery pipes have been cut and the boiler is rotten in a dozen places.. it's a piece of JUNK!"
Further: "I can't fix it without the parts [AND the funding, AND an R stamped welder] no matter HOW 'positive' I think!"
  by Cosmo

MEC407 wrote:Note from the co-moderator:

This isn't the place to discuss Conway Scenic or MEC 501. Let's stick to Wolfeboro 250, please. I understand that Conway Scenic and 501 were being used as examples to prove a point, but the point has been made and I don't want this turning into another CSRX thread. Thanks.
I hear and obey. And yes, they were meant as examples only for comparison, nothing more.

Point made.
  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:No, I do not. Actually, I think you are really smart (albeit jaded) guy.
I'm not tired, worn out, or weary....I do have a few more aches and pains than I used to, and have a harder time firing now because of a bionic leg....but definitely not jaded. Unless you mean jaded in a different way?

P.S. Point taken MEC.....
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:No, I do not. Actually, I think you are really smart (albeit jaded) guy.
I'm not tired, worn out, or weary....I do have a few more aches and pains than I used to, and have a harder time firing now because of a bionic leg....but definitely not jaded. Unless you mean jaded in a different way?
Maybe like the Aerosmith song? KIDDING! Ok... back to 250....
  by steamer69

Thank God.....what a releaf for my "Jaded" self.....I'm going to go take a nap. Cosmo wore me out.
  by Trainlover479

Ok back to 250, So if i am correct, if to bring it back to operation and FRA standards it would have to have a new boiler, crown sheet, and everything between the front and rear coupler needs to be repaired, Insurance, A home base and a railroad to run on. If i were to replace the boiler i was thinking of the same people who made White Mountain Central #6's new boiler. That kind of sounds reasonable...
  by steamer69

First off I wouldn't go saying that you need a whole new boiler until you do a survey on it. By saying You, I would mean anyone that could get a operationg or restoration agreement on it. I have heard from a few people that attempts to contact the "new" management at Edaville to inquire about the engine haven't even gotten a response. You could go right with Booth Bay, but you may want to put it out to bid between them and a few of the other makers to see where you can get the best price. Also, you need to put together a crew of guys who are known and respected in the steam world to help you out. No offense, but you going around doing this by yourself won't lead to much because of your age.
Long and short....get people from the Valley, Booth Bay, White Mountain Central. Any of the guys who have a rock solid rebuild reputation and an operations record to match. Put out a new boiler to bid, having the $150,000 to $250,000 saved up for it....and then lease shop space and hire the guys to do the work on it.
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Thank God.....what a releaf for my "Jaded" self.....I'm going to go take a nap. Cosmo wore me out.
YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :smile:

(Sorry, I don't get to gloat much.) :wink:

(But I DO get to quote:) "And NOW here's something we hope you really like!" -Rocket J. Squirrel
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:First off I wouldn't go saying that you need a whole new boiler until you do a survey on it. By saying You, I would mean anyone that could get a operationg or restoration agreement on it. I have heard from a few people that attempts to contact the "new" management at Edaville to inquire about the engine haven't even gotten a response. You could go right with Booth Bay, but you may want to put it out to bid between them and a few of the other makers to see where you can get the best price. Also, you need to put together a crew of guys who are known and respected in the steam world to help you out. No offense, but you going around doing this by yourself won't lead to much because of your age.
Long and short....get people from the Valley, Booth Bay, White Mountain Central. Any of the guys who have a rock solid rebuild reputation and an operations record to match. Put out a new boiler to bid, having the $150,000 to $250,000 saved up for it....and then lease shop space and hire the guys to do the work on it.
Forget the Valley, I already know what they'll say.
  by steamer69

I don't know why they would say that....it's not like they are getting ready to do another 1472 and form 4 or anything.....lmao!
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:I don't know why they would say that....it's not like they are getting ready to do another 1472 and form 4 or anything.....lmao!
Ok, I think I get what your saying, but,...

...if you are speaking with "reverse-logic-sarcasm," and if the "IT" you're referring to is them saying: "Please, thank you, but NO. [most of us] have already seen it and it's DEAD,"...

..then I surmise you would be correct in your assessment that they have other, far more pressing matters to attend to.

If you're saying they have all the time in the world to go out to the Cape and look at dead engines for free, or worse, for gratis-minus-gas-minus-park admission ...

ROTFHMGLMAO!!
  by Trainlover479

Well I spoke to a former engineer of the 250, saying how they were running her hard. He said it would need a new boiler but im not sure if he fully inspected the locomotive himself.

And as in bringing people over, i would trust people from Strasburg on that one....i know the quality work they do.
  by Cosmo