Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SecaucusJunction

NJT is saying that this was emergency repairs found needed by an inspection being done. It wouldn't surprise me. Conrail had really let this line fall into disrepair and MTA is still playing catch up to try to bring the line into SGR.

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/WOHservice.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"As part of rehabilitation work underway on the Woodbury Viaduct, Metro-North identified emergency repairs on Monday afternoon. The work will be completed within the next 24 hours.

In order to allow this work to be done, a bus/train schedule will be in effect as follows:

For Tuesday, December 3, direct bus service will be provided from ALL stations between Port Jervis and Salisbury Mills/Cornwall to Harriman Station and buses will connect with train service to Secaucus and Hoboken."

It begs the question, that if MTA had not taken over control of the line and Conrail/NS were still in charge... with all the storms, bridge issues, etc... would there still even be passenger trains traversing this line? Who knows.
  by ryanov

Just as I was reading this, an SMS came that said the first train over the line will be today's 51 (4:08p departure) from Hoboken.
  by SecaucusJunction

New signals are up but bagged at Sterling. The old Conrail signals and the dwarf on track 2 should be gone shortly. Interesting configuration on the new signals, it looks like 3 signal heads very close together on either side of the pole.

I'd suspect that the rest of the signals at all interlockings east of Sparrow will be replaced in the near future, so it is probably a good time to go get photos now.
  by MTASUPT

Yes those are the new signals, each interlocking will be getting the new ones.
  by northjerseybuff

The signal next to 17 near Suffern coming down as well? Its an eastbound just before the bridge over the ramapo river
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe that's the plan ...
  by SecaucusJunction

It looks like the dwarf signal at CP Harriman is going to be replaced in the near future. I just noticed that from the Thruway this past weekend. Anyone know what the status of the signaling project is? Last I saw the signals at Sterling and other places were still bagged.
  by DanD3815

I saw a bunch of work crews at the Woodbury Viaduct which passes over rt 32 today. That could be part of the infrastructure work being done.
  by Port Jervis

SecaucusJunction wrote:The issue is, you still cannot run reverse peak service with just passing sidings. Neither the PJL or the PVL have this because regular rush hour service is too frequent. The trains would not be able to hop from siding to siding.

Where were the switches replaced along the line? I don't understand those terms.
It's done routinely on the Gladstone Branch.

That being said, the line should be fully double tracked between CP Sterling and CP Valley. I would also introduce hourly off-peak service from Middletown.
  by Amtrak7

Port Jervis wrote:It's done routinely on the Gladstone Branch.
The Gladstone Branch has barely any reverse peak service. 3 hour gap in PM and first outbound of the AM gets to Bernardsville at 8:31.
  by northjerseybuff

Is MN going to double track portions of this line? When is the current signal replacement project going to wrap up?
  by SecaucusJunction

MTA has "plans" to double track parts of the line, but of course everything needs funding. It would be in conjunction with a mid-line yard. Something like this, combined with hourly service, could really spark ridership on the line and help what was lost during the storms. Of course, its all about finding the $$ to make it happen.
  by Frank

These videos were taken on the same trip in May 2009 respectively. The first video is of a ride on a Comet V train over the Moodna Viaduct. It was a beautiful view of the valley from the viaduct. The second one was taken shortly after. It is of a ride in a Comet V train from Tuxedo to Sloatsburg. All in all, a very nice ride on the Port Jervis line.

Ride over the Moodna Viaduct on the Port Jervis line on a Comet V train
http://youtu.be/gCemaic6zBQ?list=UUyUUf ... lRoKecPk_w

Ride on a Comet V from Tuxedo to Sloatsburg
http://youtu.be/BKpzY0E0O6Q?list=UUyUUf ... lRoKecPk_w

Enjoy! :-)
  by SecaucusJunction

More weekend busing on the PJ Line. I get the fact that work needs to be done, but this is really tough if they are trying to regain ridership.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /140719985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;