• WMATA Metrorail Trip Report 8/26 Sunday

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Love Train

Today I dropped my grandmother who was visiting from New York at Union Station to catch a train back home. Naturally, we took the Metro to get there. Warning: This might be the most boring trip report you'll ever read, because there was absolutely nothing worth noting on today's trip.

We arrived at Grosvenor-Strathmore and went straight to the platform; there was no need to buy fares because my grandmother had her total fare paid for when she arrived on Friday and I had a Smartrip card. We waited 3-4 minutes for our train. We got a six-car mixed train of original and rehabilitated Bredas. The first two cars were 4000 series original Bredas, the middle two cars were 3000 series original Bredas, and the two cars at the rear were Breda Rehabs. We were in original Breda #4001, the front car. The train originated at Shady Grove like all Red Line trains do during off-peak hours, but this train's destination was Silver Spring (they still alternate between Silver Spring and Glenmont during off peak hours). The train was not even close to crowded, with minimal passengers on board our car. The train got great speed entering the tunnel portal between Grosvenor and Medical Center.

Coming back, I had to wait 2 minutes for my Shady Grove bound train that would take me to Grosvenor. This train, also not crowded, was a six-car mixed train of Rohrs and original Bredas, with the first two and last two cars being Rohrs and the middle two cars being 4000 series original Bredas. I was in Rohr #1114, the front car. This train hauled some serious a$$ between Medical Center and Grosvenor, faster than the ride downtown.

That concludes a weekend full of Metro trips. My next trip report will come next Monday when I get back from a vacation in New York City.

by Sand Box John

I think it’s time for WMATA to seriously start thinking about procuring a vacuum train. Funny, I think I may have mentioned this at some time in the past.

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, WMATA doesn't have a vacuum train? NYCTA does, and I think MBTA too, but you guys should get one to get rid of all the smoke from the station and tunnels.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Wow, WMATA doesn't have a vacuum train?

Nope. no vacuum train, not even any type of equipment for cleaning tunnels or track bed that can be mounted on a maintains of way car.

NYCTA does, and I think MBTA too, but you guys should get one to get rid of all the smoke from the station and tunnels.

Getting rid of the smoke from the station and tunnels is easy, just turn on the appropriate number of 72,000 CFM fans in the appropriate fan shafts and the smoke is gone quicker then the fire fighters can stow their gear back on their trucks.

In another forum the question was asked. "Is a Vaktrak so expensive WMATA cannot possibly afford one?"

To which I answered. "I have no idea, hell I don't even know if there is anybody within the brain truss at WMATA that even know that such a piece of equipment exists in the market place."

by octr202

The fires appear to be making the news even up here.