• Will they ever paint the Alcos?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Steve F45

Today when trying to get some railfanning done i go my usuall route. 46e/b to main street in Ridgefield park. AT this point you'll see any nys&w units sitting in the yard. Today they had 5 alcos and the multicolored 3010 all together. I was saying to myself my god i wish they would paint them.

So here are my Q's, 1. Why haven't they painted them black and yellow? 2. Do they plan on painting them black and yellow? 3. how much does it cost?

I mean the alcos, if just painted the red parts yellow i'de be happy with that. All black with Susquehanna in white or yellow across the side of the engine.

by Lackawanna484

NYSW will paint them in due time, I'm sure. Keeping them running is first priority.

I've heard $15,000 is a reasonable estimate for a good paint job. That involves taping and shielding glass, openings, vents, etc. Sandblasting the unit, priming, and good Imron paint, plus a stenciling of the logos and name.

Custom jobs with lots of detail can run $50,000

by Steve F45

$15k that doesn't sound that bad if you think about it. Such a large piece to prep and paint.

On the VW site im on a good paint job, not necessarily custom costs around $8-10k. and thats for a fraction of the size.

I wish i was good at photoshop i'de play around with what i'de like to see.

I have a question though, regarding the alco's they have. At the rear of the train where those vents towards the bottom are. What is the spinning thing i see? Its not a fan, it looks like a pully with a belt of some sort.

by mandealco

Hi
If it's in behind the screen below the radiator section of the hood, it could be a belt driven air compressor. That's roughly the location of the compressor for memory. That would only be on the C-636's, the Ms have louvres that would be harder to see through.

Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ

by Steve F45

mandealco wrote:Hi
If it's in behind the screen below the radiator section of the hood, it could be a belt driven air compressor. That's roughly the location of the compressor for memory. That would only be on the C-636's, the Ms have louvres that would be harder to see through.

Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ

thats about where im talking about. next time im down there im going to bring my zoom and take a pic to show what im talking about.
  by Noel Weaver

Purple, pink, black, blue or yellow, they all pull a train just as well.
Noel Weaver

by washingtonsecondary

Amen Noel.
  by Steve F45

Noel Weaver wrote:Purple, pink, black, blue or yellow, they all pull a train just as well.
Noel Weaver
i could deal with pink and black painted units. and on the nose have richard simmons as there new logo :-D
  by n01jd1

2005Vdub wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Purple, pink, black, blue or yellow, they all pull a train just as well.
Noel Weaver
i could deal with pink and black painted units. and on the nose have richard simmons as there new logo :-D
Sorry, but pink does not belong on railroad equipment. Thats worse than ACL Purple!!! YUCK!! I'd rather see them unpainted or in plain black with just reporting marks and a number!!!
  by Noel Weaver

n01jd1 wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:
Noel Weaver
Sorry, but pink does not belong on railroad equipment. Thats worse than ACL Purple!!! YUCK!! I'd rather see them unpainted or in plain black with just reporting marks and a number!!!
The NYS&W decides on their paint scheme and not the railfans.
Purple looked awlful good on the former Atlantic Coast Line diesels.
Noel Weaver
  by AmtrakFan

Noel Weaver
I don't care the color or the paint I just want a train to show up.
  by Noel Weaver

AmtrakFan wrote:
Noel Weaver
Now Thats The Spirit!!, people are so picky these days. :-)
Noel Weaver

by EDM5970

You are probably seeing the eddy current clutch, between the compressor and the RA fan drive.
  by Matt Langworthy

Noel Weaver wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:
Noel Weaver
Now Thats The Spirit!!, people are so picky these days. :-)
Noel Weaver
Right! And who knows what kind of money is the NYSW budget for lcomotive maintenance budget? If painiting is deemed too expensive, it is the wiser choice to keep a drab locomotive in running order than to have a pretty locomotive which is unreliable and prone to breakdowns. That's what I'd do if I was in charge, but I could be wrong...