• Why is NEC NYP to New Haven so slow?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

the TZB rail link problem is simple, there is no more room in GCT
  by Gilbert B Norman

Meanwhile back in Fairfield County, if 40ft vertical MHW clearance is all that is needed upstream at the Morano, why would more be needed at COB? According to the chart, COB is 20ft MHW. To get to 40ft at a 1% grade would mean a 2000ft approach on either side. To the East there is one.of the few tangents on the New Haven heading to Old Greenwich. I doubt if there is any historical significance to the present Riverside station which would need be relocated. The worst casualty would be the beautiful Bollman Truss - a Historical Place - that takes Riverside Ave over the tracks.

On the West, the Cos Cob station would also need be relocated. Now would the additional 20ft elevation affect clearance under the Morano and at Indian Field Road, I'd be inclined to think not.

But even if there would be benefits to railroad operations, there would not only be the Fairfield Navy Admirals to deal with but also property owning NIMBYS along Indian Field Road.

Ringling Brothers is gone, but a new circus would be coming to Greenwich.
  by Jehochman

The NIMBY problem in Connecticut is reduced day by day as our wealthiest citizens flee to Florida. Nobody wants to fund the legislature's fiscal mismanagement. Pretty soon all those fancy estates in Greenwich will be vacant.
  by ThirdRail7

johnpbarlow wrote:
* Monday-Friday train counts from April 2017 MN New Haven line timetable

Net: only the Shell-Stamford/Devon segment sees a significant train count increase from 1955 to 2017 (~20%). This is my best estimate - please critique!
Are you looking at an employee timetable or public timetable? A public timetable will not show that various deadhead equipment moves.