Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

who will help save a f40c if that came about

yea i love to help
85%
no i dont care about them
15%
  by metra 613

ok i just want to see how menny people on here will want to see a f40c save and if irm got one and need money to pay for it who will help them?

by MetraF40C607

Realize that when 611 and 614 are done with Metra, Metra said that the IRM would get one. That came directly from the IRM. Do not quote me on that, but it is what I heard. If it is the case, then don't worry.

by AmtrakFan

I would like to see one come back someday.

by MikeF

MetraF40C607 wrote:Realize that when 611 and 614 are done with Metra, Metra said that the IRM would get one. That came directly from the IRM. Do not quote me on that, but it is what I heard. If it is the case, then don't worry.
Even if Metra gives IRM an F40C, there would still have to be a large fundraising effort. Many observers do not realize the huge expense of acquiring and storing (not to mention preserving and restoring) any piece of rolling stock. Funds must be available for transportation and track space initially, and for operation, maintenance and restoration costs eventually.

by Metra 47 607

I would love to see 611 and 614 go to irm I really hope metra will donate them. They would be a great addition to their fleet and I hope the others get preserved also. GO F40Cs

by Scotty Burkhardt

I thought the deal behind the keeping of 2 c's was to have them on track trains.

by MikeF

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:I thought the deal behind the keeping of 2 c's was to have them on track trains.
They're going to be completely retired some day, though. Nothing lasts forever.

by MetraF40C607

How true you are Mike. I volunteer at the IRM. Trust me, I know about the funding needed for a locomotive at the IRM.

by MikeF

MetraF40C607 wrote:I volunteer at the IRM.
What department do you work in? I don't think I've ever seen you around.

by byte

I'd like to see a C preserved, but it would be nice to see some former MILW bilevel coaches and a cab car get preserved along with it, much like the C&NW steel-sided bilevels and the two F7s. Otherwise, it would look really odd pulling anything else. And even though the bilevels would of course take a lot of space, it would be less of an issue than other equipment because they're stainless steel and have been pretty much stored outside all their lives without much trouble. Somewhere down the line, it would be great if IRM had examples of commuter trains from every line in Chicago. But if they can only get one C and that's it, then I'm still all for it, since I know IRM's policy on track space is pretty strict (and understandably so).

by AMTK84

John, according to Metra engineer Jim Raymand, there is no idea what-so-ever as to what is going to happen to them. Yunger volunteers who are a bit on the overinthusiastic side might say that "IRM will get one for sure," but there's no real way to tell.

by c604.

607 I've never seen you around the grounds either. Please forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't you about thirteen or fourteen years old? In what capacity do you volunteer? Just curious that's all :-)

As far as getting an F40C I’ve been inquiring since at least 2000 with some of the higher ups when I ran into them and even ‘til now answers went between “yes we’re definitely getting one” and “nothing was ever in the works.” It has come to this point: How do I know that the museum got an F40C? When I see it sitting on the IRM/UP interchange track with the derail to the UP locked behind it that's how! In the meantime though, if any of you are interested and wouldn't mind getting dirty a bit, the Milwaukee 33C, an E9 that the F40C's replaced is in the shop for a complete cosmetic restoration (it runs!) but presently there is not enough manpower to work on it :-(