• Who does Hi-speed the best?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Komachi

MBTAfan? said,

"There's nothing like standing on a shinkansen platform when a Hikari or Nomomi* go by. The blast of air that hits you is powerful, and I've been downright scared at the sound and speed of it all. It's hard not to flinch at something like that, even if it's 10 feet away!

One day I sat in Toyohashi station (where only the Kodama stops) above the Shinkansen rails. Whenever a Hikari or Nozomi came through, the building over the rails shook! Lots of fun :-D"

Kinda exhilerating, ain't it? :-D :wink:

"That depends on the exchange rate :wink:"

True, but in August 2000 the exchange rate was 90-something yen to the dollar, pretty close to a 1-1 exchange... makes the math easier, anyway. :P

Rockingham Racer asked...

"So, is Akita your first name, then?"
Nope, it's Erik. A good, stout, NORSE (and Minnesotan) name...

Anyway, rerailing the discussion to the topic at hand...

I haven't had the opertunity to ride the ICE or TGV yet, but have wanted to and may do so sometime in the future. Although, let me point out that we haven't heard about the Eurostar service (well, I did, in passing), or would that be considered an extension of the TGV routes?

And from what I've read, when it comes to European HSR, I'll vote for the ICE over the TGV.

However I'm still sticking with the Japanese for doing HSR best on the worldwide level.

* And yes, as MBTA3247 pointed out, it's NOZOMI... but let's chalk it up to a minor typo, nothing serious. :P
  by Florian R.

Speaking about the system in general, the Japanese net ist the oldest (in a positive sense) and also one of the best developed ones. They also have a HST type for their narrow gauge.

France has the advantage that the country's infrastructure is very central, everything and all routes focusing on Paris. In terms of speed the TGV system would be the favorite.

The German system connects a large number of cities as the country is rather a federal state than a central one. Of the existing ICE types, the ICE 1 and 2 (basicly half an ICE 1, can be coupled) can run up to 280 km/h in regular service (250 in schedule, +30 to catch up). ICE 3's top speed is 300 for schedule, 330 to catch up when delayed.

The ICE-T has a tilting system, but that was not what the T originally stood for: It was ment as IC-Triebwagen, but then the name was changed to ICE-T in order to transfer the positive brand image. ICE-T classes 411 and 415 can go up to 230 km/h. The tilting diesel-ICE class 605 was taken out of regular service, as in the start it encountered a lot of technical problems and the four coach units proved to be uneconomic. Even though, the technology for tilting diesel units (up to 200 km/h) is there.

As a side-note: The class 101 eletric IC locomotives are cleard for 230 km/h in regular service, but most of the coaches are only cleared for 200 km/h. Most regional trains are speed up to 160 km/h now (the first line in Bavaria now is going 200 km/h, with former IC stock), local trains usual max. speed is 120 or 140 km/h.

A lot of text, sorry, but maybe the information is useful.

by Nasadowsk

Interesting that the class 101s are claered for that high a speed in germany. The US version (ALP-46) is cleared only to 160 km/h and is somewhat less powerful, I believe (6000kw vs 6400 on the 101, I think.)

by Irish Chieftain

That would be NJT's doing. All of their locomotives are supposed to go no faster than 100 mph, even if they're capable of much faster. Their culture of thinking does not relate to fast runs.

Remember that the "French Fry" X996 (SNCF 21000-class) also operated at 137 mph in France.

by george matthews

Lehigh Valley Railroad wrote:Does not Japan have "mag-lev" trains?

Where they glide OVER the rail? Or those are not considered trains.
China has the only commercial MagLev line, from the airport to Shanghai.
Germany has an experimental line but there was a serious accident there a few months ago.
Britain had a slow MagLev line about 20 years ago (between Birmingham International station and the airport) but it's been removed.

by mannybrown

In opinion Germany does not have the best system because of its very bad safety record. Their accidents include the horrible accident involving the derailment of an ICE train at speed (and slammed into an overpass, collapsing the bridge onto the train) which killed over 100, and the recent accident involving a transrapid maglev train set colliding with a maintenance vehicle on the guide way, killing 23

by Irish Chieftain

Two accidents? That's not sufficient to form an opinion. Transrapid was not in commercial operation. The matter concerning the accident at Eschede was for the most part corrected. Nothing with the IC service cited (125-137 mph) or ICT (143 mph)? So how many ICE accidents lately on Die Bahn…?

by VikingNik

Was DB really found at fault for a truck not being able to drive straight across a bridge and falling onto the tracks below?

And Transrapid has no bearing on the safety of German Rail whatsoever.

by mannybrown

Was DB really found at fault for a truck not being able to drive straight across a bridge and falling onto the tracks below?
The accident involved the wheel of the ICE being made with a rubber shock absorber between the tire of the wheel and the wheel itself. the tire on the wheel failed at high speed (at 125mph, the one in Eschede) while going over a turnout, and derailed the end of the train. Then the end jackknifed out and hit a bridge support, and the bridge collapse onto the train, while it was still going about 125mph. This i believe was DB fault, because the integrity of the wheels was there responsibility. Also this is ,as far as i can think of, the only High speed rail accident of this magnitude ever. Compared to most other countries near perfect safety record of HSR, a blemish of over 100 fatalities is huge

by VikingNik

Wow. Poor recollection on my part. Just read it on the mostly reliable wikipedia. Definite black eye for DB there.

by CarterB

I have ridden the Acela, and for years in Europe the Thalys, ICE, ICE-T, and TGV high speed trains. Of those, I definitely prefer the overall comfort, amenities, schedules and on-time performance of the DB ICE system.

by matthewsaggie

1. Truck falling onto the tracks causing wreck- has happend at least twice in Britian in the last 10 years to the best of my recollection.

2. Who does it best?-- has to be the French, at least this week.