• Whitneyville & Machiasport RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

I was in the Machias area the other day and got to wondering about the Whitneyville and Machiasport Railroad, the (largely) log- and lumber-hauling route that ran between the two Maine villages until 1895 or thereabouts. I know where the ROW crosses Route 1, and I know where it comes into Machiasport (there are some barely-standing remnants of some sort of wooden trestle across a bog just west of the village). Does anyone know if any of the rest of the roadbed is hikeable? It would make for an interesting walk, I should think.

by salminkarkku

If you go southwest of Machias on Route 1 and turn left on Roque Bluffs Road, there's a track into the woods on the left just past the junction. I thought that this was the route of the railroad, but I could be wrong.
  by RRBUFF

There is a book " The Sunrise Route" by Michael Zimmermann. It is a history of the Washington County Railroad. ie: The Calais to Brewer line.
There is a chapter in it about the Machaisport RR. with pictures and a map. It is out of print but you can find it in some of the Washington County libraries.