• Which abandoned Septa line would you want back?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by JeffK

BPP1999 wrote:Also, on another thread you (Matt) posted a comment about joining the DVARP. I did.
From another long-time DVARP member, thank you and welcome!
  by hammersklavier

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
iamapokemonlegend wrote:why don't they just start with something small like maybe extending service back to parkesburg? from what i've heard from people that has the most potential and in my opinion is probably the cheapest option for septa right now
What people? Were they people who read the study of the Atglen restoration, or railfans looking at maps?
The study concluded that restoring service to Coatesville, Parkesburg, and Atglen would add only 500 new daily riders.
That estimate sounds like a lowball to me, considering the demographics of Coatesville...
  by Malvern Metroliner

hammersklavier wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
iamapokemonlegend wrote:why don't they just start with something small like maybe extending service back to parkesburg? from what i've heard from people that has the most potential and in my opinion is probably the cheapest option for septa right now
What people? Were they people who read the study of the Atglen restoration, or railfans looking at maps?
The study concluded that restoring service to Coatesville, Parkesburg, and Atglen would add only 500 new daily riders.
That estimate sounds like a lowball to me, considering the demographics of Coatesville...
Cotesville is served by Thorndale station. A majority of Coatsville is closer to Thorndale. Both Coatsville Amtrak and septa Thorndale are on Rt. 30, Parkesburg is not.
  by M&Eman

Malvern Metroliner wrote:
hammersklavier wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Cotesville is served by Thorndale station. A majority of Coatsville is closer to Thorndale. Both Coatsville Amtrak and septa Thorndale are on Rt. 30, Parkesburg is not.
I imagine a good chunk of Coatesville residents do not own cars and cannot easily get to Thorndale. SEPTA serving Coatesville would serve working class residents of Coatesville well, allowing them access to all of the service jobs on the Main Line that are mostly filled by West Philly residents.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Coatesville is also served by the Krapf's bus, which is probably more accessible than the Coatesville station for most transit-dependent residents. That bus makes connections to the train in Thorndale as well as directly serving employer locations in Exton and West Chester.
  by Launcher

I choose to reinstate West Chester. Because the bus takes forever to get there and a day, and it is frequently packed pull between the hours of 4 and 9pm.

IMO, 69th street should be avoided at all costs. It is not the fastest way to travel.
  by rrfan2000

Based on current populations, Souderton-Quakertown for sure, as well as Reading (or at least Pottstown). As a complete "Blue Sky" thought, re-activate the old PRR trackage between Wawa & Kennett Square, based on population growth in that area. BTW, that would follow the ORIGINAL route of the line thru Media, which was first built in the mid-1800s from W Phila thru Media, Kennett Square & Oxford to the Susquehanna River in Maryland. The tracks from Wawa to W. Chester were a branch added later.