• Where would you add new or additional NEC stops?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

I just posted an Amtrak Media release concerning additional stops at New Brunswick and Princeton, NJ: amtrak-media-amtrak-adds-more-service-f ... 76081.html

Where would you add new or additional stops? For my neck of the woods, OTOH I'd consider Greenwich and South Norwalk, CT.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:39 am Where would you add new or additional stops? For my neck of the woods, OTOH I'd consider Greenwich and South Norwalk, CT.
While there are switches (Control Point) immediately to the East of the station near Bruce Park, the Next such Point is West of Port Chester.

Great for timekeeping if an Acela is a few minutes off and ends up "chasing" an MNRR Local.
  by STrRedWolf

A slight tangent: In line with the 4-track effort around BWI Airport, I would turn Odenton into a temporary Amtrak station with bus service to BWI Airport and the Baltimore Light Rail system.

That said, 30 minute travel times between stations sounds ideal. Aberdeen would qualify for more service in this regard. South of NYC is fairly settled, though. Between New London and New Haven looks like the only place left to put a station.
  by Shortline614

Not strictly along the "current" NEC, but considering the 2nd long bridge and Alexandria 4th track projects, could it be possible to string some wires down to Alexandria? The new Airo sets don't need engine changes, and those trains that do need engine changes could use the NS Alexandria yard.
  by shadyjay

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:39 am Where would you add new or additional stops? For my neck of the woods, OTOH I'd consider Greenwich and South Norwalk, CT.
South Norwalk was a regular stop (along with Stamford and Bridgeport) for the New Haven's thru trains between Boston and New York, so I could see that as a possibility. Greenwich, no. Heck, I've only been on one or two Metro North trains that have stopped at Greenwich (granted I get on at New Haven). But with frequent service with MN especially at Stamford, getting to Greenwich is fairly easy.

Remember, the more stops we add, the slower the Amtrak trains get. And they have to jocky with all the other trains, get to the outside for platforms, etc.

Now, if we're talking commuter, then yes, between New London and Old Saybrook could use a station (or two). But I wouldn't have Amtrak stop at them. There was an Amtrak service in the 70s and early 80s (Beacon Hill) that ran out of New Haven, making local stops at Leetes Island, Madison, OSB, East Lyme, NLD, Groton I think (somewhere) and on to PVD and BOS. That was years before SLE and back when a station could just be a patch of blacktop with a stepbox.

But as a general rule, Amtrak is the express, the commuter railroads handle the local stops. If you have Amtrak stopping everywhere, you limit your average speed and all of a sudden, there's no sense in the express.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Shortline614 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:35 am Not strictly along the "current" NEC, but considering the 2nd long bridge and Alexandria 4th track projects, could it be possible to string some wires down to Alexandria? The new Airo sets don't need engine changes, and those trains that do need engine changes could use the NS Alexandria yard
Mr. Shortline, be it noted that there were once wires "over the River" to Potomac (Pot) Yard. However, ever since Conrail deactivated any electric powered (freight) trains, there was no further need for them to maintain wires on a "foreign" road.

To my knowledge, Pot Yard is now simply a mile marker. The real estate it comprised was simply "too valuable" for continued rail usage.
  by Shortline614

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:27 pmMr. Shortline, be it noted that there were once wires "over the River" to Potomac (Pot) Yard. However, ever since Conrail deactivated any electric powered (freight) trains, there was no further need for them to maintain wires on a "foreign" road.

To my knowledge, Pot Yard is now simply a mile marker. The real estate it comprised was simply "too valuable" for continued rail usage.
Mr. Norman, I'm well aware of both Potomac Yard's previous electrification as well as it's current non-existence as a freight rail facility.

The yard I'm talking about is a small 3-track "blink and you'll miss it" affair just south of the Alexandra station. It's sandwiched between the SOU/RF&P main and the DC Metro yard. Corridor trains terminating at Alexandra would "lay-over" in that yard before trekking back up to Ivy City.
  by STrRedWolf

Shortline614 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:13 pm Mr. Norman, I'm well aware of both Potomac Yard's previous electrification as well as it's current non-existence as a freight rail facility.

The yard I'm talking about is a small 3-track "blink and you'll miss it" affair just south of the Alexandra station. It's sandwiched between the SOU/RF&P main and the DC Metro yard. Corridor trains terminating at Alexandra would "lay-over" in that yard before trekking back up to Ivy City.
I wouldn't do that for Amtrak trains. MARC trains, however, are slated to terminate at Alexandria if they ever exercise the run-through option. So that small yard would be perfect for additional lay-ups of MARC run-throughs (even their diesels).
  by ExCon90

Stopping at some of these intermediate points is more complicated than it might seem (cf. Metropark, Trenton, Ardmore, and Aberdeen, let alone New Brunswick and Princeton Jct.): a train on an inside track with a scheduled stop at one of these stations will hit a signal some two miles away requiring it to reduce speed from 80 mph (or 110 mph?) to 45 until it reaches the crossover to the outside track and continues its sedate progress to the station. Leaving the station isn't much quicker until it gets up to track speed on the inside track soon enough to avoid impeding the Acela now bearing down on it--or more likely be held at the crossover while the Acela goes by. (It seems the faster trains go the longer everything takes.). Ideally there would be 80-mph crossovers at an ample distance from these stations, but that's talking real money.
  by NaugyRR

Falls Village

Extend the wire up the Danbury branch, add double tracking with concrete ties and CWR all the way to Pittsfield. Import Shinkansen sets for express service past the Great Falls...

*sarcasm*

In all seriousness, South Norwalk I see being a good candidate for seasonal Regional trains to allow Amtrak riders easy access to the aquarium, restaurants, switch tower, etc.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Naugy, be sure to throw in a stop at Woodrow, so I can just walk up The Hill for an SKS Alumni Weekend (darn; guess I'd have to stay in one of the Barracks) :-D

BTW, Woodrow was what the New Haven referred to as South Kent in any of their System Maps appearing in Form 200 (NH System Timetable).
  by Greg Moore

Hey, if you're going to go to Falls Village and then Pittsfield, might as well then go to Albany :-)

Seriously, I never expected a one or even two train ride to my dad's house before he died, but still saddens me that he passed well before it could even be possible.

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd add many more Amtrak NEC stops, if any. The more stops, the slower things get overall. If you want local stops, take a local commuter train.
  by Jeff Smith

The thing is though that it’s not necessarily someone going from New Haven to Bridgeport. It’s someone going from say South Norwalk or Greenwich to Boston or DC. It’s called “GREENwich” for a reason lol: $$$. If one could avoid Stamford (ick; the station is a disaster) or Bridgeport… and hop right on an Acela. That Acela is probably topping out at 50 in MNRR territory anyway. Of course you could take the “local” to the current stops I suppose.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:48 am . It’s called “GREENwich” for a reason lol: $$$.
Not sure what my Mother (1913-78), who lived her entire life within the Town of Greenwich (GREN-ich) , or my Sister (1942-) who, save the eighteen years she lived mostly in the UK but some in Hong Kong, her entire life as well, would have to say about that.

As one who simply goes out there once or twice a year for family visits, and for whom it was a legal residence 1941-70, I think that line is "quite the hoot" :-D
  by Literalman

I would choose Secaucus Jct. as a new Amtrak stop to give passengers on the NJ Transit diesel lines a direct transfer to Amtrak trains going to New England and to Philadelphia and other points south and west.