• Where to purchase doors off scrapped locomotives?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MWheeler74

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but since its regional, I'll try.

I am looking to purchase a couple pairs of hood doors off of a scrapped locomotive for use in building a cabinet for my train room. I know there are places such as Larry's Truck and Electric, or Alter scrap that do this sort of thing, but I live in NE Connecticut and am curious if there is anything like that in the New England/New York area.

I am not too particular as to what locomotive they come off of, just that they are paired doors. Original paint would be cool, but not required. I am physically able to carry large items, and able to drive to pick them up.

Any ideas? Has anyone purchased items from a scrapyard for personal/home use? Any tips on how to go about it? Any advice is appreciated!

- Mike
  by shadyjay

Larry's Truck & Electric is actually scrapping locomotives it purchased from Pan-Am up in Maine.... scrapping appears to be taking place at Waterville yard, so you wouldn't have to travel "too" far (yes, NW CT to Waterville is a drive but closer than Ohio).

If it was the 1970s/1980s, Chuck and Eddie's in New Haven got a lot of scrap contracts from the PC/old NH locomotives back in the day. I know they're still in business, but without a significant home grown railroad supplying them with retired locos, I can't imagine they scrap too many locomotives these days.
  by eolesen

Is Naparano still open in New Jersey?