• Where have these cars been hiding?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Sid Farkus

Couldn't find any topic about the whereabouts of these cars, so that's why I started this topic. Anyway, I came across this picture dated today and wondered, where have these cars been stored all this time and where are they heading? Thanks for any info.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2383505
  by NYS&W142Fan

They were mentioned in the NS H-02 forum.
They were on the NS H-02 yesterday from Dover to Washington, then to Allentown. They are going to the Erie-Lackawanna Dining Car group in Steamtown. Thanks for posting the picture.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 20#p894138
Last edited by NYS&W142Fan on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by RiverMP21

We will be using these cars for excursions to raise funds for the restoration and operation of our three Erie Lackawanna dining cars and NKP Pullman City of Lima.

Eventually, these cars will be repainted into their original EL/NJDOT paint scheme. We have already restored (albiet crudely) their original numbers of 1700, 1705, and 1802.

For more information, visit http://eldcps.org/pages/equip_1700.html
  by ns3010

I believe they were at the MMC for the past few months.

Now that these three are gone, are there any Comet I's left on property, aside from whatever CIB's are still at Port Morris and/or the MMC?
  by Jtgshu

Those cars were stored at the MMC since they were pulled from service in 2008/2009. They were marked for preservation while other C1s were getting scrapped in late 2009 and seperated from the other cars that were going to get eaten and put on to a different track. They were parked with the 5119 that went to Whippany and the 5120 that is for the URHS.

As far as I can tell, the only Comet 1s remaining on NJT property are the group stored out in Raritan that came back from Canada a few months ago. I think there is a 11 of them out there.
  by R36 Combine Coach

RiverMP21 wrote:We will be using these cars for excursions to raise funds for the restoration and operation of our three Erie Lackawanna dining cars and NKP Pullman City of Lima.

Eventually, these cars will be repainted into their original EL/NJDOT paint scheme. We have already restored (albiet crudely) their original numbers of 1700, 1705, and 1802.

Minor correction on the page there: 1700 and 1705 were built 1970 and 1802 in 1973. The second order (cars 1771-up and cabs 5124-5134) was delivered in early 1973 to provide to the retirement of the remaining Erie Stillwell fleet, mainly on the Port Jervis runs.
  by Sid Farkus

Jtgshu wrote:As far as I can tell, the only Comet 1s remaining on NJT property are the group stored out in Raritan that came back from Canada a few months ago. I think there is a 11 of them out there.
Any plans for those cars?
  by RiverMP21

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
RiverMP21 wrote:We will be using these cars for excursions to raise funds for the restoration and operation of our three Erie Lackawanna dining cars and NKP Pullman City of Lima.

Minor correction on the page there: 1700 and 1705 were built 1970 and 1802 in 1973. The second order (cars 1771-up and cabs 5124-5134) was delivered in early 1973 to provide to the retirement of the remaining Erie Stillwell fleet, mainly on the Port Jervis runs.
Thank you for pointing that out. That was an error on our part. I have corrected the page to show the correct information.
  by Jtgshu

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:As far as I can tell, the only Comet 1s remaining on NJT property are the group stored out in Raritan that came back from Canada a few months ago. I think there is a 11 of them out there.
I have no idea, I hope someone picks them up, AMT seemed to give the coaches (not the cab cars) a real good scrubbing and they look good
  by Sid Farkus

Jtgshu wrote:
I have no idea, I hope someone picks them up, AMT seemed to give the coaches (not the cab cars) a real good scrubbing and they look good
Did they leave the French warning sides in side the cars? Also do you know when they are returning the diesels, or did they already return them?
  by Jersey_Mike

*deleted*
Last edited by Jersey_Mike on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jtgshu

I haven't been inside the cars, but all the warning/instruction stickers on the outside of the cars are in english and french.
  by Port Jervis

Jtgshu wrote:
Passed them a couple of weeks ago, they have been significantly vandalized. Looks like they will suffer the same fate that the Comet IA's did in Port Jervis.