• When were Dansville & Mt. Morris tracks removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

erie2521 wrote:Does anyone know when the D&MM took up the tracks within the Village of Dansville?
Around 1985.
  by Lehighton_Man

Did the D&MM actually extend into the village of Dansville...? I know the connection to the former Foster Wheeler plant is still there, R&S uses it alot to bring stuff to AMP... Forgive my ill-knowing of operations.
  by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:Did the D&MM actually extend into the village of Dansville...?
According to this 1904 topo map, yes.

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/wayl04sw.jpg

-otto-
  by colorado

I recall them having an engine house and freight house in town. Thier tracks did enter the town of Dansville but were on the West or north side of town, they did not get into the main business district of Dansville. I don't thinkk there was much if any industry in dansville (Other than Foster Wheeler outside of town) that the D&MM served directly. Last time I was in dansville (about 20 years ago) there was a large stone building near the Freight house area, I think it was the old Blum Shoe company but I don't think they had direct rail access either.

Speaking of Dansville, I'd love to see track plans and pictures of the old Groveland yard of the DL&W....someone once had a postcard of the yard and it ws bigger than I imagined it would be but I saw the postcard at least 25 years ago and can't recloqal who it was. Myself and some freinfds explored the remains of the old engine house about 32 years ago, somewhere I have slids I will try to post of our visit there in 78.

Speaking of Dansville, one thing of signifigqance there is the Castle on the Hill, the huge victorian Brick building on East Hill that stands over the town (The old DL&W right of way runs above and behind it.) Besides being a facinating 100 year old brick architectural gem the facility has a great history associated with it. It is the birth place of the first pre prepared cold breakfast cereal, the birth place of the 7th day adventist church and is essentially the birth place of the Red Cross (Clara Barton eventually moved to a home in the town but she spent considerable time with personal physicians at the Castle in the process of the development of the Red Cross. It is also the birth place of the fitness movement with self made millionare (Publisher and health advocate Bernarr McFadden) and 2 of his pupils coming from the castle were Charles Atlas and Jack Lalane.
  by SST

Years ago, I flew over that structure and took several aerial photo's. I posted here about that same building wondering what it was for. I just looked for the post but didn't find it. I don't know if I have the pictures any more as they may have gone down with the last computer. It's a great view from above. I'll dig some more later.
  by boblenon

On the left side of the photo, the concrete block bldg was the diesel house for the DMM (two 44 tonners). There had been a wooden building previously for the steamers.

The G&W bought the operation in 1985 .... and had some fun getting the center cabs out. Today, right of way into town is mostly intact as either a road or a pole line.

Take a look at this http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/GW/ from scottychaos ... (specifically http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... Mpage.html)