Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Kurt

I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble, but lately I've noticed the ditch lights on the P32ACDM turned off. When must they be on, when the loco is leading the train? I noticed this while waiting for the train at Bedford Hills, as a northbound express had its ditch lights alternating as it passed the station, other times the lights were off. I caught this P32ACDM (#210 leading to Poughkeepsie),just north of Croton Harmon while waiting at Senasqua Road. http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... &bydate%3A[/img][/url]

by DutchRailnut

The Ditch lights need to be on all times on non automatic equipment like M1/M2/M3/etc.
the Genesis(p32acdm) has a automatic system were ditchlights come on flashing whenever the engineer uses the horn, like crossings/ platforms/ people on or about track etc.
There is a Bright plus Ditchlight setting on Genesis but its optional when to use this. The flashing will still work if the switch is in all lights on mode.

by metman499

Ditch lights are also not required while a train is in the yard limits.
  by Kurt

Linking the ditch lights to the horn activation was not something I would have thought of, but it does make sense. One less thing for the engineer to remember. Thanks