• When Green and Yellow Ruled the Main Line...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

Back in the day when things were interesting on the Long Island Railroad. Taken on the wye at KO some time in 1976. Image[/b]

by SeldenJrFireman

Is that a GP-10 or a GP-9?

by Paul

Niel, it's a 1700hp GP9. GP10 was a designation that the I.C.RR gave GP9s that were rebuilt at the Paducah Shops. They are very unique looking as they have a big huge air filter box that extends from one carbody side across the roof to the other side.
Peducah GP10

by RRChef

Nice pictures Paul. I can remember the Precision units blasting thru NHP. But my favorites were the Bangor & Aroostook GP's. I thought the name was cool!(what did I know? I was a kid!)
  by trainspot

May 1976 at Sunnyside Yd.
Can anyone tell me how to post an image? (not on a webpage)

Tim
  by trainspot

Montauk, July 1974. I used to love those 4-unit lashups!
Tim

by RRChef

Now that's what I'm talking about TS! Thanks! All these old pictures are making me feel nostalgic for the 70's. Hmm...now where did I put my Led Zeppelin 8 track tapes?? :wink:

by trainspot

Glad you liked, RR! Don't tell me you still have something to play those 8-tracks on! My all-in-ones (stereo) usually died after putting a penny on the reccord player needle for too long!

by Paul

Somwhere around here I have a slide that has two BAR geeps (blue), an RS-3 and PNC 1702 all on the K.O. wye. The IC picture came from Ellwood's site. I posted it as an example of a Peducah rebuild. I did not take that picture. And, to top it off, I never knew that PNC 1505 was ever on the Island! From the looks of her I would say they kept her well hidden.
Now the younger ones on the LIRR forum know why I say the Seventies were kind to me. It was most exciting.

by trainspot

Paul, They had 3 blue GP-7s (1505, 1506, 1507) that were ex-FEC and were leased for about 6 months.
In my first shot (at Sunnyside) the 3rd unit was a GP-10 #980.
All in all, they had 11 PNC units and 8 BAR's when the lease expired on the C-420s. 6 of those (BAR 69, 72, 74, and PNC 1701, 1702, 1706) were equipted with ASC while on the LIRR.
Heres the roster:
GP-7 #117 PNC
GP-9 #136 PNC
GP-9 #172 PNC
GP-10 #980 PNC (chop nose)
GP-9 1503 PNC
GP-7 1505-1507 FEC blue & yellow
GP-9 1701, 1702, 1706 PNC (1702 chop nosed)

and BAR:
GP-7 #60, 62, 64, 65, 66, 69, 72, 74

by RRChef

There are 2 things I regret: Not taking more pictures during the 70's on LI and not getting the ones I did take out of my ex-wife's house before she threw them out!

And TS, I do have an 8 track deck, an Audiovox, brand new in the box waiting to be installed in the proper vehicle.

by Paul

Thats wild about those three Geep 7's from PNC. I never saw them and trust me, I was always at Ronkonkoma during those years. I had a ride from K.O to Greenport in the cab of one of the BAR units (Blue), Many a ride in the four green / yellow PNC 9s (980 was a Geep 10), and even "got some" in the cab of 1702...
I never bothered with 8-track. I went for casset decks my self.
  by jhdeasy

BAR 69 rolls The Shelter Island Express east thru Mineola on a Friday afternoon in August 1974. Next stop - Riverhead. Look closely and you will see that parlor car 2000 AMAGANSETT is the first car in the 4 car consist.

Photo by Tim Darnell.

by SG

Paul
You forgot to mention the Big Black Readings that were also leased around the same time.

by Paul

I never saw the Reading units either. Damn. Anyway, I was thinking about posting a pix of a 16 year old me in the cab of one of the PNC units at Greenport. I just dont know if I should.