• When Did You First Meet Amtrak,

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DeeCT

My first train experiences were the 2 - 3 times a year we rode from Bradford, RI (no station - you flagged the train and paid the conductor on board) to Providence, RI. We left very early morning and our day in the city included shopping and a quick visit with relatives then we returned late afternoon (the conductor advised whoever needed to know where we were to get off.) This was back in the early 40s --- I wonder how prevalent such "boardings" and "detrainings" at crossroads were.
My first Amtrak trip was back in 1993 on the Crescent (Hartford, CT to Atlanta, GA) to attend Family Weekend at Fort Benning.
That trip had me hooked.

Dee

by Sam Damon

BTW, I introduced my kids to intercity passenger rail service on Amtrak #42 last week. They had a great time! The conductor was nice enough to let them go to the "railfan window" for a couple minutes, which they got a tremendous kick out of.

Quite a contrast to the surly types that swore my dad off the PRR.
  by Komachi

1981 or '82...

I was a "tiger cub" in the Cub Scouts (I remember it being "tiger cubs," because we all had our little, orange t-shirts on). Our local pack leaders decided it would be fun to have us experience a trip by train. So, we rode the Empire Builder from Winona, MN to LaCrosse, WI.

I remember we pretty much sat in the lounge car, drinking orange juice and watching the trees rush by and passing the barges floating down the Mississippi River. After we debarked in LaCrosse, we piled onto a school bus that took us back to Winona and the "caravan" of cars to take us back home. I don't remember if we did anything else in Winona that day, but that was my first, concious memory of being introduced to Amtrak.

by M&Eman

Sadly, I haven't been on Amtrak yet, but in April I am taking a Regional from Newark, N.J. to DC for a long weekend with my family. I sort of hope something goes wrong and we are bumped up to Acela though.
Last edited by M&Eman on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CoastStarlight99

Los Angeles - San Juan Capistrano when I was 11.

by LI Loco

My first trip was in October 1971 from New York to Syracuse (I attended Syracuse University). Consist was two coaches and a snack bar coach, all fluted side, all lettered Penn Central. Motive power was a ex-Cleveland Union Terminal P-motor electric locomotive to Croton-Harmon and an E-8 beyond, both Penn Central. We arrived 20 minutes late due to a mechanical failure south of Poughkeepsie. Train was crowded to Albany (SRO between Poughkeepsie and Hudson), but emptied out as we headed west. At Albany, a car cleaner boarded and kept things tidy the rest of the way.

by EastCleveland

LI Loco wrote:My first trip was in October 1971 from New York to Syracuse (I attended Syracuse University). Consist was two coaches and a snack bar coach, all fluted side, all lettered Penn Central. Motive power was a ex-Cleveland Union Terminal P-motor electric locomotive to Croton-Harmon.

For those who've never seen one. . . .

A shot of one of the ex-Cleveland Union Terminal / New York Central / Penn Central P-motors (from the 1930s) that hauled Amtrak's early Empire Service trains into and out of New York's Grand Central Terminal:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36842

As I recall, the P-motor was extremely impressive in a sinister, grimly industrial kind of way. Sort of like an Electric Locomotive from Hell.

by LI Loco

Sort of like an Electric Locomotive from Hell.
That's kinda harsh, EC.

True, they were boxy, like most early electrics, but they were powerful; able to generate as much HP as a Pennsy GG-1, and the sound they made while getting underway was unforgettable.

Thanks for the link to the photo. They looked better in NYC lightning stripes, of course.

by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget, Messrs. Cleveland and Loco, these'toys' hauled mainline NYC trains between GCT and either Harmon or N White Plains.

I can recall a summer "post college pre military' job during 1965 at Park Ave & 131 St on the third floor. This was a perfect view of "the action'. While of course it was so and frequent I didn't even look up (and I had a job to do as well), I always noted the passage of the Century's equipment move from Mott Haven (that's where the NYC's yard was) and if working late, its outbound departure. It was always funny to wonder how this then-still impressive train could have such a little toy pulling the pride of the fleet - even if just for an equipment move.

Oh, and here is the "mid sized' T motor as well

]http://paintshop.railfan.net/images/mol ... motor.html (BBCode intentionally disabled as rightsholder has chosen to prohibit URL links)

by LI Loco

The "toys" that Mr. Norman referred to, the S-class electrics, were largely relegated to switching service toward the ends of their careers. I believe the standard operating practice was for an S-motor to haul a long-haul consist from Mott Haven into GCT. Instead of running around the train or using of the the loop tracks, the unit would sit near the bumper of one of the stub tracks, e.g. Track 24, Track 26, until the train it had brought in was taken to Croton-Harmon by one of the T or P motors. I recollect observing this when I rode the Wolverine from New York to Detroit at the ripe old age of 6. :-)

by rls62

My first trip on Amtrak was roundtrip from Rochester, NY to Grand Central Station in June 1981. I've been a railfan since I was a small child and enjoyed every inch of this trip. I like how trains go through the "backyards" and industrial sections of cities, small towns and remote countryside, but the best section of this trip was along the scenic Hudson River between Albany and NYC.
I've taken this trip 5 times since then, most recently this past weekend. Train 48, which originates in Chicago, was running late which is not unusual. The local Amtrak agent called us at home to let us know that the train was running 2 hours late, which we knew already by monitoring its progress by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL. Once on the train, the crew was very friendly and accomodating.
I'm impressed with how the employees of Amtrak try to do their best on a shoestring budget. I was incensed by a female passenger who complained to the snack car employee about "typical Amtrak inconsistency". He politely shrugged it off but I wanted to shout at this annoying woman, "Then take the bus, ingrate!"
Last edited by rls62 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Scoring Guy

:-D In 1985 I was scheduled to drive to Reno, from La Crosse, WI, to attend a convention in early December. But then came a last minute business trip which put me driving back to Wisconsin from Los Angeles in early November. While cruising across I-40 in Arizona, I found myself running side by side with the Amtrak train, and the “light” went on. When I got home, I went down to me local depot and got an Amtrak schedule and started planning, and eventually came up with a trip that circled the West, all coach, six nights on the train total, and all for the $265 “All Aboard America” ticket.
Since I couldn’t make same day connections in Chicago with the train to Reno, I opted for the “Eagle” which at that time had a 5 pm Chicago departure. I wish I had taken photos of the train, because the Eagle (a superliner) had a lounge car that was something other than a “sightseer” but all I remember of it was a lot of yellowish paint on the mostly metal interior. The Eagle took me to San Antonio, where I spent three days and four nights.
Then it was back on the next westbound “Eagle” for L.A. The Eagle/Sunset was only an hour late, allowing me to make my connections to the “Coast Starlight” with an hour to spare. I rode in the tail end coach to San Francisco, spending a lot of the time looking backward out the window of the rear door.
After a three nights stay in S.F., I boarded the “Zephyr” for Reno, assigned to a blood red seat in the “El Capitan” dorm car – the Reno depot was only a block from my hotel (that fact I had noticed the year before). After spending the weekend in Reno attending the convention, and etc., I boarded the westbound “Zephyr”, on that Monday morning, going back as far as Sacramento (I went that way because I couldn’t make same day connections in Chicago, Zephyr to EB). The 2 pm arrival into Sacramento gave me a 9 hour layover, allowing me to visit the Cal. RR Museum, the Old Town, and the Capitol building, before sunset, at which time I took in Monday Night Football at the Holiday Inn bar. At the end of the game, I returned to the station to wait for the northbound Coast Starlight.
By the time I reached Portland (rode in a ex-Santa Fe hi-level regular coach) I had picked up a nasty cold, which zapped my energy big time. The Portland depot procedure was quite weird: First everyone, except me, lined up at a desk to get a “boarding pass” (which was just a slip of paper with your destination and car number) - when the line was down to the last person, I got out of my chair, near the platform door, and staggered over to the desk and got my boarding pass, and then went back and sat down, fighting hard to stay awake. Meanwhile, almost everyone else had formed second line; the first person in line, a mother with kids and lots and lots of stuff, was right next to my chair. When they opened the door to the platform, I just grabbed my bag and headed for the train, while everyone else stormed by the mother with the kids and stuff who didn’t have enough hands for all their bags – that line was such a waste.
Aboard the eastbound Empire Builder, I slept right through dinner, but by 10 pm I was feeling better, so I made my way to the sightseer lounge car where a nice party was going on. The attendant gave last call, and turned down the lights, and we each bought four or five beers. For the next few hours we were ooing and ahing at the snow covered eastern Washington mountains, which were glowing from the light of a full moon. Two weeks after I left home, I arrived back in La Crosse. Probably aided by the time of the year, I was able to have two seats to myself for my entire time aboard the various Amtrak trains. I hadn’t ridden a train since the late 60’s when I used to ride on the Burlington Route back and forth to Chicago. I was hooked on Amtrak, and have done at least one LD trip per year ever since. I have to say that 99% of my Amtrak experience has been possitive, and I have found my local ticket agents very very helpful for the past 20 years.

by Ken V

Scoring Guy wrote:In 1985 I was scheduled to drive to Reno, from La Crosse, WI, to attend a convention in early December...
Great story :-). Thanks for taking the time to share it.

by LStJ&StL

My first Amtrak ride was on a Saturday morning in July or August of 1974 when my father took me on a trip from Detroit to Ann Arbor on the Wolverine.

The train was powered by two black ex-Penn Central E units that had been stripped of any markings. The first car in the consist was what I'm guessing was an ex-New York Central observation car, with the observation end coupled to the nose of the second E.

Our point of departure was the old Michigan Central Depot. While the building is a ruin today, it's still one of the grandest structures in Detroit, and as an 8-year old I was awed by its size. The Wolverine was the only train in MC's huge trainshed that morning, but my dad told me that when he was my age, there had been a passenger train on every track.

Our coach was a contrast to the venerable station, in that its interior had been recently redone and was a riot of blue and purple, with lots of paisley thrown in for good measure. As we were pulling out of the trainshed we passed an E with a bright red nose and silver flanks emblazoned with the pointless arrow- the first locomotive I ever saw in Amtrak paint.

The ride out to Ann Arbor was rough, but we arrived without incident. The old station had been converted to a restaurant several years before and Amtrak was operating out of what had been the baggage room. We detrained and watched the train curve out of sight on its way to Chicago. And like any good 8-year old, I wondered what was down the tracks and around the bend.

by Terrapin Station

First meet: Broadway Limited from Harrisburg to Chicago circa 1980. I was quite young and do not remember the trip, but my parents tell me that I would wake up each time we passed a grade crossing (from the horns, lights, and bells) and would start wailing. Eventually the train crew put us into a bedroom to stop disturbing all the other passengers in coach.

Fell in love: Lake Shore Limited from Syracuse to Chicago circa 1990. I was 10 years old. I stayed awake almost the whole ride, looking out the window the whole time. I was most impressed with our high rate of speed (79MPH) and we even asked a member of the crew how fast we were going.

After the LSL trip, I rode hardly rode Amtrak at all for while - just a trip to Atlantic City (while Amtrak still ran it) and a round-trip on The Three Rivers from Harrisburg to Chicago circa sometime between 1995 and 1998. After I graduated college and began living and working in New York City I started to ride Amtrak a lot more, all along the NEC. I've made several trips between NYC and New Carrollton or WAS.

My most exciting trip was taking the Acela Express on the day after the blackout in 2003. I used my American Express points to ride it for free. I had planned it long before the blackout and was afraid the train might be canceled, not knowing until I arrived (via city bus - YUCK) at a darkened Penn Station. To my surprise, every other train was delayed or canceled except for mine! We left on time, mostly empty, and I had a blast.

Photos of my Amtrak trips: HERE

Incomplete list of my Amtrak trips (I wish this site would work again): http://miletrak.com/miletrak.php?user=b ... &sort=date