• What yards are left in Erie and are there any locals left?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by JJJeffries

MC:

Posting them here would be fine. Other PICS on other railfan sites are listed.

Best,
Craig

Buffalo Line (NS) MP 192.7 (North Lock Haven)[/b]

by MetalCowboy

Sorry it took so long, been busy lately. Here are the first 4 i have gotten scanned.

http://www.geocities.com/metalC0wb0y/
They have been taken just West of Erie International Airport (Approx CSX 93.3)
Otherwise they were shot where the file name says.

MC

by JJJeffries

MC:

Thank You for the great PICS. I remember as a kid in the Boy Scouts going to a retreat near the lake west of the airport and having to cross the four track main.

Many times all four tracks were in use by both steam and diesel powered freight and passenger trains. I am quite sure the passenger trains were running well over 100mph. Most trains were 15-20 cars long.

I remember one weekend our scoutmaster had us near trackside to see the overnight Century's. Man did they move. Both were headed by steam. Something I will always remember.

The time frame was 1950-54. Big time railroading at its best.

Best,
Craig
Lock Haven
  by MetalCowboy

Is there still any interest in erie, pa railroad photos?
I know its been over a year since I mentioned I had pictures that needed scanned...
Let me know,
MC
  by JJJeffries

MC:

I would greatly appreciate seeing more pictures on railroading in Erie. I didn't make it there this year. Maybe in 06.

I need to see my doctor at the VA hospital and spring would be a great time to visit.

Could you tell me where is the best restaurant in town that still offers Lake Erie Perch on their menu? Miss that taste.

Thanks for remembering. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Best,
Craig
Lock Haven
  by pablo

I'd love to see what you have.

My specific interest with Erie is knowing more about the current operations down by the waterfront, where I was surprised to see tracks, and that the tracks looked like they got use.

I'd also like to see pics near the A&E/NS/CSX interchange, that yard that was mentioned here as the OD yard (I think I have that right).

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

Dave Becker
  by nick plate

pablo,

I don't know if there are set days, but I have seen the Erie yard job down on the Lake front on Mondays and Thursdays, when I have visited the library. They seem to arrive anywhere from 10 A.M. to 2 or 3 in the afternoon, more often then not, in the morning. It is an interesting operation. They'll switch the yard, crossing back and forth over Holland St., then head to the GAF plant,west of State St.[not far from the Lansdowne car ferry,with the Milwaukee Skytops on it -it just sank this past week,btw,but is being raised up again ]. Then head back east, sometimes crossing the bayfront highway to head down to the Marine terminal. If your lucky, you can also catch them crossing [backing] the bayfront highway to deliver coal cars to the coke plant. It's always interesting watching them inter-act with the highway traffic! Seems kind of close at times. I once asked the Conductor, who was flagging Holland St. ,why they didn't put gates there and he said people would just run into them ! Probably would.

by Espeelark

Craig,
The BEST place in Erie to get a Lake Erie Perch dinner is at the Polish Falcons club on 3rd street (just east of Parade Street) each Friday - open to the public!
I grew up in Erie - now live in Cincinnati - got lots of photos in/around Erie during the '70s.
Paul Mac
Modeling the SP in Ohio