• What was your best meal aboard an Amtrak train?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by LI Loco

Probably the prime rib on the Capitol Ltd. five years ago ranks as my best Amtrak meal. Topped it off with an excellent apple pie. The next day, the Capitol was running 4 hours late, so they served lunch and I got another piece of that pie.

Also had good steak dinners aboard the Lake Shore, Crescent and Cardinal.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Duplicate post removed 12:46 AM 04/04/07.

by NHN503

Hands down for me.... Lake Shore Limited, Boston Section: White Castle burgers and then the grilled chicken sandwich.

Both microwaved from the Cafe car...but I love em!

by Gilbert B Norman

If anyone wishes to open a parallel topic over at Mr. Benton's Rail Travel Forum, I would be happy to opine. Otherwise I'm mute.

That hardly means Amtrak food is terrible, just not memorable.

by flynnt

On the NEC:

A luncheon of a (crispy) McChicken Sandwich and (French) Fries, both off the dollar menu at McDonald's..

by Otto Vondrak

Amtrak serves White Castle and McDonalds's food aboard its cars? I'm talking about meals prepared on board... if McNuggets and fast food burgers were your best meal aboard Amtrak, I feel sorry for you. The microwaved breakfast sandwich does not count, either.

-otto-

by alex45

I like their railroad french toast. I had it on the Southwest Cheif when I traveled from Kanas City to Los Angeles

by alex45

Eventhough this isnt a meal, I LOVE the huge chocolate chip cookie's that Amtrak Regionals serve on the NEC serve. They taste even better if u put them in the microwave for 30 seconds

by The_Rockaway_Kid

alex45 wrote:Eventhough this isnt a meal, I LOVE the huge chocolate chip cookie's that Amtrak Regionals serve on the NEC serve. They taste even better if u put them in the microwave for 30 seconds
Are they served on the Acelas as well?

by jhdeasy

One Amtrak dining car meal that I really remember fondly was garden salad with bleu cheese dressing, rolls and butter, grilled ribeye steak (cooked medium well over Presto-Logs) with vegetables, hot tea and pie a-la-mode dessert .... served in a former C&O diner lounge observation car on train # 60, The Montrealer, in the mid 1970s. Cost was well under $10.

North of the border, I fondly remember a similar meal on Via train # 2, The Canadian, except that the entree was a delicious pot roast of Alberta bison ... July 1999 ... an x-CP diner in the electric kitchen (no Presto Logs) era.

by pennsy

Hi All,

More to it than just the food. It is the company at your table, and nearby tables, waiter etc. service, and promptness etc.

Lastly would be the food, and quality, quantity, etc.

Best meal for myself would be on the evening Congressional, PRR. Great company, very courteous waiters, busboys, wine stewards etc. and then the meal itself. Best part would not to be hurried to allow the table to be used once again. Usually a good tip ensured that you would be given preferential treatment the next time.

by alex45

The_Rockaway_Kid wrote:
alex45 wrote:Eventhough this isnt a meal, I LOVE the huge chocolate chip cookie's that Amtrak Regionals serve on the NEC serve. They taste even better if u put them in the microwave for 30 seconds
Are they served on the Acelas as well?
They may be, I havent had the time to go to cafe car on the Acela since I get on in Providence and ride as a passenger to Boston. The cafe car is about closed by then. Good question though! Ill check next time I ride :-)
  by AlcoFA

Breakfast of the old fashioned French Toast westbound on the Broadway Limited in August 1978 aboard a former Pennsylvania RR twin unit diner.

Also had the same meal aboard the Rio Grande Zephyr in July 1982 while climbing the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.

by CNJ

I'd say breakfast on the Montrealer....1974 and 1975.

That was a great train...I really miss it in its original form!

by Bobby S

LSL 2001 -Grilled shrimp skewers w 5 jumbo shrimp each served over long wild rice. Served right when they were adding the Boston section. Crew put green glo-sticks on each table! Made for an interesting meal

Capitol LTD 1994 -Rack of lamb w/ mint jelly close second! This train was still single level with the DOME!!!

by midnight_ride

2002-ish: Chowdah on the Downeastah

Yassah... :-D