• What's left at Hollidaysburg?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Charlie Monte Verde

what is left at Hollidaysburg, specifically on the tracks alon Route 22(?). I remember being there about 9 years ago, and it was a veritable who's who of the pre-Conrail era in relation to stored rolling stock. Any info, or if someone has a site dedicated to Hollidaysburg shops and storage, please let me know. Thank you.

CDMV
  by dwil89

Alot of trackage east of the shops has been torn up...there is still some rolling stock stored there, but not nearly what was once there..The Everett Railroad still interchanges with NS via the Cove Secondary, so railroad activity is not extinct in the Hollidaysburg area.
  by caboose9

Charlie Monte Verde asked, "What is left at Hollidaysburg, specifically on the tracks alon Route 22(?), in relation to stored rolling stock."

Hi,

About 5 years ago, cabooses CR 21237, NH C518, NH C671, & NYC 18116 were reported near the NS Car Shops in poor condition. I suspect they have been scrapped, but I don't actually know.

Anyone know the fate of the above cabooses?

Thanks, Roger
  by dwil89

I don't know if those cabooses are still at Hollidaysburg or not....next time I go through there, I'll have to check...I believe that there are one or two cabooses in the 'boneyard' near 'ROSE' in Altoona.

by PRRGuy

cool stuff...boneyards...is that all retired cars and cabooses or are there Locomotives there also?

by dwil89

PRRGuy wrote:cool stuff...boneyards...is that all retired cars and cabooses or are there Locomotives there also?
The Boneyard at Altoona is old rolling stock..you can walk the length of the road overpass along a sidewalk at ROSE, just East of the Juniata Shops and get a good view of the cars in storage there..