• What portion of sleeping car passengers travel solo?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

I know one thing that if this solo traveler on 52 (06FEB) cannot get 5PM seating in the Diner, the Attendant will be properly rewarded to "go fetch" for C/5240 at 5.

I'll sooner have my Grape Juice, my Times and Journal, and Amtrak Connect, than three dour "stone faces" or other assorted jerks (even if I'm a bigger one than any of them) well after my 7PM bed hour.

That's just how an anti-social, never married, 75yo starts to think of the Diner experience - if an additional "fin" in the paper handshake can avoid it, fine.
  by AgentSkelly

Here's a thought....if lets say Amtrak got rid of diner seating, but still had diner food for meals that could be served passenger's rooms or their seats, would that be an interesting idea? The reason I ask is that it seems like that wouldn't be a bad thing; and it might help the food service bottom line and that diner seating space could be re purposed....
  by Greg Moore

I'd actually be turned off by the idea.

One of the problems I find when travelling alone on the Crescent in a sleeper is it can get a bit... lonely. Not exactly the right word, but I think one ends up feeling a bit isolated.
I look forward to time in the diner to meet people.
I'd probably be less inclined to use the sleeper if the only option was dining in my room.
  by AgentSkelly

Greg Moore wrote:I'd actually be turned off by the idea.

One of the problems I find when travelling alone on the Crescent in a sleeper is it can get a bit... lonely. Not exactly the right word, but I think one ends up feeling a bit isolated.
I look forward to time in the diner to meet people.
I'd probably be less inclined to use the sleeper if the only option was dining in my room.
Sounds like need a counter car again...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Moore, when I was your age (that I think about 45), I was much more willing to get out and socialize, but at 75, you view the world with different eyeglasses.

While "in the room" was prompted last year by both the 9PM seating I had to take, and that there is no longer the free wine (take it or leave it) with either the happy hour or at the table, the ostensible socializing I can do without. I really have no desire to "walk the train" anymore as I can do without the Conductors thinking I'm a company spy simply because I know how to walk aboard a train. So I must acknowledge my joyride days are over and Auto-Train effectively halves the distance to drive on my annual Florida trip.

Finally, on the photo Agent Skelly immediately posted, it was my first knowledge Amtrak picked up the former UP 40XX Lunch Counter cars. I first saw one of those riding the UP Seattle-Portland during June 1962. Trust me, "Bengstonization" of the car did it no favors.
  by MACTRAXX

AgentSkelly wrote:
Sounds like need a counter car again...
Skelly and Everyone:

Good picture from the 1970s of a counter type diner car. This one looks to be an Auto-Train car
judging by the red and purple color scheme and the use of the letter board to post item prices.
From this angle the board is not readable - it would be interesting to see the items and prices...

I do agree that having a food service car outfitted similar to this one would be an interesting way
to offer more meal options over and above traditional dining cars and would be a better option
then just offering snack bar services on board. A lone traveler would feel less awkward dining
in a car like this one as compared to sitting at a table with passengers that they do not know...

MACTRAXX
  by Rockingham Racer

I travel solo, usually, and a counter car just turns me off. Given a choice, I'd go to the dining car.
  by electricron

I like the Bistro Car concepts better for passengers traveling solo. Take the Cascade trains as an example, the galley/kitchen is in the Bisto Car with the standing bar like tables, and tables and seats in the dining car next to it for those wishing to dine with others at a table.
  by AgentSkelly

electricron wrote:I like the Bistro Car concepts better for passengers traveling solo. Take the Cascade trains as an example, the galley/kitchen is in the Bisto Car with the standing bar like tables, and tables and seats in the dining car next to it for those wishing to dine with others at a table.
Where do you think I got my idea from? :P

The Cascades Bistro car is awesome! It serves good full meals plus snacks, drinks, good beer, OK wine (They could pick a better Washington wine to serve...). And the menu changes daily. And my understanding talking with the Bistro Car attendants who have previously worked in regular dinning or cafe car service, they find it much easier to work behind too.
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Discussion about seat mates does raise the point that, unfortunately, some folks miss the point that part of the rail experience is the diner conversation. Don't know if there's an overall down trend, but my wife and I have taken 4 AT trips over the years.

Initially had some various levels of diner conversation; some extremely talkative and entertaining; others while probably more introverted or circumspect with strangers were at least cordial and polite (and we most likely fell into this latter group ourselves).

But last AT trip our mates bordered on the rude at both meals. So much so that my wife on any future trip has said we will "buy a sandwich and eat in our room".

Nothing against someone wanting to be 'alone' (I tend to be a loner myself) but folks should realize that in the diner they are affecting their table mates experience as well. One can eat alone (or with their travel mate) in their roomette if they wish as poster Mr Norman intends to do (and I myself plan to do on a trip south for business next month - taking Star vs Meteor partly for that reason).
  by NS VIA FAN

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:Discussion about seat mates does raise the point that, unfortunately, some folks miss the point that part of the rail experience is the diner conversation.........
I've always had pretty good experiences in the diner but witnessed the following on VIA's Ocean a couple of years ago:

The Renaissance Diners have tables for two on one side of the aisle and four on the other. I was just finishing coffee and a great conversation with someone I had been seated with at a table for two. Across the aisle was a couple who had come in late for first-call and were about half-way through their meal. A young fellow came in and the attendant motioned for him to sit with them. The woman abruptly told him “excuse me but can’t you see we’re sitting here” and you could see the poor fellow was embarrassed. The attendant came back and said he had just made second call for dinner and he was going to need every available seat. The couple looked at each other, said something then got up and left.

The attendant started down the aisle behind them with their check but the LSA called him back (basically....forget about it) Then the attendant went back to the young fellow offering him a glass of wine along with the menu and said VIA would like to offer him a complementary meal!

It cost VIA three meals but they’ve probably got at least one customer returning....the other two....don’t know!
  by SouthernRailway

I have never been offered to have dinner served in my room.

Thanks to RR.net, I know that it's an option and have done it once (although the sleeping car attendant lied, had major attitude and refused to do anything more than just deliver an entree of her choice to me), but most people who don't want to eat in the diner may not know that room service is available.