• What is the centercab diesel at Valley Railroad?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Guilford Guy

according to railpace its a "RARE GE CENTERCAB"
80 ton centercab 0901

by superwarp1

There's two isn't there? One used for the dinner train and the second just restored?

by Otto Vondrak

0901 is the one I am asking about, thank you!

by shadyjay

GE 80-ton #0900 - painted red/white/black
script VRR herald on cab
pretty sure this unit came from the Berkshire Scenic Railway sometime in the early 90s as its paint matches that of one of the BSRM locomotives.
Used on dinner trains and as backup power on regular train during steam locomotive outages

GE 80-ton #0901 - painted orange with a green cab
"VALLEY RAILROAD" text on cab
ex-Pfizer, arrived around 1994, was owned by Friends of the VRR, now VRR-property. Originally built for the US Navy in Groton CT. Then later used by Pfizer. When it arrived, it was painted in rusty orange with a Pfizer logo on it.
Used as needed.

-Jay H.

by kitn1mcc

is running as a back up/Second unit to 0900

it run like a champ and i know we did a damn good job fixing her up i did a lot of engine work in it with other . had to unstick a stuck crank/Cylinder and rehone the cylinder liners

also i did a lot of electrical work. it is a dual control stand and both Control stand work with a Dual Radio Control head (100 watt motorola Spectra)
  by dieselbreath

GREAT IT'S RUNNING! A LONG TIME AGO I SAW IT IN THE SHOP AND THE WORK HAD JUST BEGUN I HAVE TO GET THERE AND SEE IT OPERATE. I THINK WHAT MAKES THIS UNIT RARE OR UNUSUAL IS THAT IT DOES NOT SPORT THE MORE ROUNDED OR STREAMLINED HOODS AND CAB THAT THE REST OF THE INDUSTRIAL GE'S HAVE. NOW THAT I HAVE TYPED THAT IN I BROKE OPEN MY WELL WORN COPY OF J. PINKEPANK'S SECOND DIESEL SPOTTERS GUIDE 1973 ERA. PAGE GE-187 HAS A PHOTO OF MON-CON #101 SHOWING THIS FLAT PANEL BODY THE CAPTION STATES; A FEW OTHERS WERE CONSTRUCTED AFTER THIS DATE (1938), SUCH AS THE GROTON PLANT SWITCHER OF CHARLES PFIZER & CO., ORIGINALLY BUILT FOR A NAVY POWER PLANT IN JULY 1940. DOES THAT SEEM ACCURATE TO YOU WHO HAVE HAD HANDS ON WITH THIS UNIT?

by kitn1mcc

thats the Loco. it was just a nasty Orange when we got it. and had a some electrical night mares and a yellow whelen 1200 strobe 2.

it is kinda of put away for the winter but it can be put back into service in a moments notics