• What happens at a UP hiring session?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SanAntoniostang

OK guys I just got an invite to a hiring session for train service. My question is what should I expect to happend that day. I know in the invite it said I will be given a general knowledge test and if I pass that then I will be given an interview. Will I have to do any kind of physical test or medical evalouation and if I do what do these test include. Thanks for all the help I just want to prepare my self and know what to expect. I'm 23 and I've always wanted to work for the railroad. Im also a current college student but will put school on hold for a chance to work for the railroad do you think having some college will affect my chances. Im over halfway thru with college.

Thanks for all the help and my hiring session is on Monday so please post up asap. Thanks again guys.

by bnsfjordan

For the first hour and a half or so, the UP people will describe the job requirements and give the "scare" speech telling how railroad life is not for everyone. They will also be taking questions during this time.

Next, they will give a timed reading comprehension test. Whoever passes the test gets to stay for an interview. If you pass the interview, then they will call you within a preset timeframe that they will give you during your interview.

The physical test is not done on the same day. If you receive a conditional offer of employment, than you will do the physical testing on the same day that they have you fill out all the paperwork. I can't describe what the physical testing involves, since I never got that far.

Good luck with the hiring session, and let us know how it goes.