Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Majinvegeta

The ones u saw are R160s! Man Good luck with the smith-9th street head view Since now there's alot more R32s on the F. Hope u get the ride.
  by Head-end View

Well you guys keep saying there are R-32's on the "F" line, but I never seem to see any. .........Yes I'll keep looking.

Is there an easy way to tell an R-143 from an R-160, or is it just like the R-44/46, where they look virtually identical?

by Majinvegeta

The difference between the R143s and the R160s are the flag placements on the front of the car and the doors inside of it. The R160s Doors at the back of the cars are twin doors not single doors. Also the R160 has those electronic strip maps in the inside that updates on the following stops or the rerouted stops. R143s has those regular strip maps. But at the most part they are identical. And there are R32s on the F its just pretty rare to see them!

by trains21

what will happen the jamaica r-32's [efgrv]

by Love Train

R32s are goin bye bye soon, but not before the R32 GEs, R38s, and CI R42s.

When all the R160s come in (option orders included), all the fleet up to R44 will be retired completely. Most R44s will stick around for a while.

by mhig9000

Saw a 160 headed east on Interstate 80 just past the Delaware Water Gap on Thursday loaded onto a flatbed. Must have been coming from Alstom in Hornell. Seems like it would have been easier and probably cheaper to load them onto a flatbed railcar and have CSX bring them down. They had it all flagged with oversize load markings and had a follow vehicle, there was also another truck a few minutes ahead of it marked oversize as well, but just had a few pieces of rail on it, with another follow vehicle. The company transporting them is based in West Virginia. They kept pulling over to the side of the road where it was wide enough, both times i saw it it was pulled over, once just past the Gap and another time after we stopped to get gas near Hackettstown. Kind of weird to see a NYC subway car heading down the highway.