• Westchester Yard - The Bronx

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

Here is something that has shown up on eBay, a 1947 study for the enlargement and general improvement of Westchester Yard. I don’t what the New Haven had in mind back then. Was management thinking of possibly eliminating or reducing substantially Harlem Yard? Does anyone know the background for this study?
  by Statkowski

The map in question is that of the IRT's Pelham Bay Line (No. 6?). It's not the New Haven. On the left-hand side of the map you can see where the yard connects with the Pelham Bay Line, just east of Westchester Square.
  by chnhrr

Statkowski you are right. Had I correlated the street names shown with the map of the Bronx I would have seen it was another yard. Plus the track layout doesn’t follow a typical freight yard. The person who is selling the blueprint states that is a proposed 1947 plan for the New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad’s Westchester Yard. Like me, he needs to do his homework before posting.
  by Statkowski

A proposed 1947 remake of the NYNH&H's Westchester Yard? Sheesh! The New Haven's Westchester Yard, primarily an LCL facility, was essentially closed circa1936. The former six-track branch line was, by then, down to four tracks, with only two tracks crossing Eastchester Creek.

Oh, as nice as it might have been desired, there never was a rail connection between the IRT's Westchester Yard and the NH's Westchester Yard. The IRT/NH rail connection originally was at Harlem River via the 2nd Ave. El, and was subsequently relocated to the former-NYW&B connection at West Farms Junction. Many an IRT car, including the 1964 World's Fair cars, were delivered through that connection.
  by skippernyc

Re: the Pelham Parkway crossing.... yes those are long concrete walls in-between the tracks, and I also recall reading somewhere that they were intended for a widening of Pelham Parkway.