• Waterville FD cuts up ST 212 & 214

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jr145

Thought you guys would like these photos. The Waterville fire department recently tried out some new rescue tools on the ST 212

Photos from Fire Tech & Safety's facebook page
  by KSmitty

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

The 212, 214 what about the 306? Saw that in the top picture was it a victim too?
  by MEC407

Damn. I'm sad to see my favorite GP35 meet its demise, but I guess that's a noble way to go! Thanks for the excellent photos.

Are ST 209 and 210 still around? If so, I believe those would be the only intact ST GP35s remaining.
  by jaymac

There's nothing like the Jaws and a rescue saw to make a Sawzall look insignificant.
  by Mikejf

Thanks for posting these. What a great way to get experience gaining access to a locomotive.

Mike
  by DJLDRUMS

That's the 308 in the first photo, at least appears to be. That engine has been sitting on the "transfer Table" tracks ( 5 of them) for years and makes sense that it would see the scrapper before the 306. At least something is going on with scrapping and cutting up locos at Waterville again. It's been a quiet Fall season for that.
Good way to "train" the Waterville Fire Dept. crews. I know firsthand, I'm a retired Firefighter, not from Waterville though.
  by Dick H

Doesn't look like PAR did any stripping of head and ditch lights, windows, etc.
Maybe they will do that before the scrappers arrive. Scrap prices must be up.
  by ST214

Oh man. Looks like I am meeting the torch:(
  by markhb

ST214 wrote:Oh man. Looks like I am meeting the torch:(
Well, considering you apparently passed out in a ditch in a railroad yard ;-)
  by ShortlinesUSA

Yep, do that in a Pan Am yard and they'll sell you for scrap before you can wake up!
  by bm1838

Just finishing cutting them up Friday December 16th 2011. RIP 212 and 214. Interesting fact, the forman told me that they removed the prime movers from the locos, and the 214 was tipped over with a front end loader!

208 210 205 and one other GP35 live on a little longer though... all still there. 45 and 62 coming out of the deadline to be rebuilt for heritage series. 643 which was there a week ago is missing in action.

Cory
  by BostonUrbEx

Err- how did 214 end up on her side like that?
  by Tim Mullins

A BIG Bucket loader...Plus I believe the motor was taken out of it.