• Washington Metrorail Questions

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by rail10

Why are the subway cars used in the Washington Metro very wide? Secondly why are the stations of the waffle design, and third why is the fare based on distance forth why are there safety lights on the platform rather than the normal yellow fith? Also, why are the turnstiles based on the flap design instead of rotator bar type? And finally, why are the transit authorities in the metrorail very strict, alert and formal unlike any subway system in the us?

by walt

Short Answer--- Because Metro-rail serves the District of Columbia. That particularly answers the last part of that question. The Waffle design in the stations was intended to match the monuments on the surface. The other factors questioned are simply what was chosen by the designers.

by octr202

The Metro recieved more design attention that probably any other US system when it comes to asthetics, architecture, operations, etc. It was designed to fit the "monumental" status of a major world capital. I think, in large respects, they succeeded.

To quickly answer some of the other points:

1. I don't know that the cars are much wider than some others (Boston's Red Line for example uses pretty large cars), but, the width allows for more seats without sacrificing room for people to stand and circulate. The Metro uses mostly cushioned 2+2 seating...virtually unheard of for subway cars. This is a Metro advantage...they could accomodate the wider cars fromt eh start since they weren't having to fit into 100 year old tunnels.

2. Answered by Walt, it was all part of the unified design. One descision made early was not to have a hodgpodge of designs, but one unified style on the entire system. Newer stations are straying a bit, but not far.

3. The lights on the platforms are there as a safety measure. The system was designed before the "tactile edge" became standard in the 1990s. (Note that this edge does not have to be yellow...Chicago's CTA uses blue.) Even though I've been on the Metro within the last few months, I can't recall how they're working it into stations...perhaps someone who looked down the last time they were in a station can fill us in.

4. The Metro was always heavily policed/secured, even before 9/11. Passenger safety was a focus from the start. I can recall as a kid in the late 80's (when I logged a lot of Metro miles with my family) that you were hard pressed to not see police on the trains on a ride of any meanigful distance. They've also always been very serious about the no food/drink rule...the sacrifices one makes to get padded seats and carpeting in your subway cars!

There is a very good, though probably now 15 years old, book called "The Story of Metro." I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about how the system was concieved, designed, and built. Well worth the read for any Metro fan or even just general transit fan.

by drewh

As for the station design, it was also to keep sight lines as clear as possible to help prevent crime.

Fare based on distance is not that uncommon around the world, and for that matter look at BART in San Francisco, as well as most commuter railroads in the US.

Safety lights were always designed to tell of an approaching train.

The turnstiles are the same variety that BART uses as well. Both systems opened in the 70's.

by walt

Additionally, the vaulted ( arched) shape of the stations was to make it impossible for graffiti artists to deface the station walls ( Remember the situation with respect to graffiti in the New York Subways in the 1960's and 70's). The theory was that it would be impossible for passengers to touch the walls.

by Usafcop580

Station designs were also made to be bunkers in case of attic. Hence forth some of the unique designs (along with depth levels at Medical Center and several other stations.)
  by Mdlbigcat

octr202 wrote:3. The lights on the platforms are there as a safety measure. The system was designed before the "tactile edge" became standard in the 1990s. (Note that this edge does not have to be yellow...Chicago's CTA uses blue.) Even though I've been on the Metro within the last few months, I can't recall how they're working it into stations...perhaps someone who looked down the last time they were in a station can fill us in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "tactile edge" is placed before you get to the platform lights. You have the regular platform surface, then the "tactile edge" then the lights.

WMATA got a waiver from the FTA because of its unique design [the platform lights].
  by rail10

Will the nyc or any traditional subway trains work in the dc metro?

by Robert Paniagua

4. The Metro was always heavily policed/secured, even before 9/11. Passenger safety was a focus from the start. I can recall as a kid in the late 80's (when I logged a lot of Metro miles with my family) that you were hard pressed to not see police on the trains on a ride of any meanigful distance. They've also always been very serious about the no food/drink rule...the sacrifices one makes to get padded seats and carpeting in your subway cars!

Yes, I remember in 1986/87 when I first rode WMATA, there were policemen (in both uniform and in plainclothes) patrolling the trains and stations (the former hardly ever done by MBTA Police uphere!), and were then clamping down on eating and drinking, which resulted you in a so-called "parking violation". Same goes for Radio Playing and badmouthing.

I also logged a lot of WMATA miles back then (July 1986 thru June 1987) and my visits from Boston too.

There is a very good, though probably now 15 years old, book called "The Story of Metro." I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about how the system was concieved, designed, and built. Well worth the read for any Metro fan or even just general transit fan.

Yeap, I already have that book, I picked it up at the Caboose Motel at Strasburg RR in Pennsylvania in 1992, and I still have it. Also, there has been a new book that has since come out four years ago, which I still want to get.

WMATA is the nicest system I've enjoyed, better than BOS...... :-D
  by Arlington

rail10 wrote:Will the nyc or any traditional subway trains work in the dc metro?
DC and Baltimore were designed to have the same dimensions and voltage (but perhaps not length) so that if they ever were connected end to end they'd be compatible. In turn, Baltimore and Miami use nearly identical cars which was a way of lowering their cost (not ordering completely custom)
  by Mdlbigcat

rail10 wrote:Will the nyc or any traditional subway trains work in the dc metro?
Actually, the R44/46/68 cars have dimensions closest to Metrorail cars. In another turn, the Metrorail cars, as well as BART, MARTA, Baltimore/Miami, Cleveland Red Line, LA Red Line, MBTA Red Line and SEPTA Broad St Line cars size are derivatives of the BMT Standards. The BMT Standards were the largest subway cars built at that time [1915].
The cars were 67.5 feet long and 10 feet wide. The Boston cars [Cambridge-Dorchester now the Red Line], and the Philadelphia [Broad St Subway] cars were direct descendents of that design, and the NYC R1's were a shorter version of the Standards [that explains the easy interconnection between the IND and BMT lines].

by arrow

Yea I guess an R44 or an R46 would physically fit into Washington's system, however it is obviously not compatable with the WMATA computers controlling the trains.

by Robert Paniagua

Same with the R68/R68A, all those cars you mentioned would have to be heavily modified before they can run on WMATA tracks as well as the MBTA Red Line cars (69' 6").

TTC cars can also fit perfectly on WMATA (75 feet long also) but they would need the wheel trucks to be replaced with the standard 4' 8.5" gauge, since Toronto's cars' wheel trucks are gauged at 4' 10".

Also, the same thing as NYCTA's cars, the TTC cars cannot trainline with WMATA's computer system, would also require heavy modification.

by djlong

The only "inter system" cars I ever knew about were the old SOAC cars that the DOT and Boeing built for their 'tour' in the mid 1970s.

A little googling said they ran on the Eighth Avenue "A," Brighton "D," Queens "E," and Sea Beach "N" lines in NY; Boston's MBTA Red Line; Cleveland's Airport service; Chicago's Skokie Swift and SEPTA'S Broad Street Line in Philadelphia.

104 service days. Just shy of 20,000 miles. Over 300,000 passengers (in just the two cars) and they're sitting up at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport ME.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeap, I got to see those cars up close and personal at Seashore not long ago, and they definitely trainlined with those systems, except WMATA, BART and TTC Toronto although in Canada.