• Warwick, NY Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by David Hutchinson

Orange County was surveying the area just north of the L&HR old General Office. They staked out the area and a few days later, an excavator showed up removing trees. Anyone know what is going on? The stakes run next to the main line and run down by the creek. I had heard that the single lane bridge going into Jones Chemical was supposed to be condemned and replaced with a road running down the mainline south, to County Route 1. Maybe now they are going to widen the bridge........
  by Marty Feldner

This a longstanding issue. The Howe Street/River Street bridge has been condemned for several years; the County first put a one-lane restriction on it, then set a 22 ton limit (the rationale was that Jones' trucks were only on the bridge a few axles at a time). Its replacement has been in the works for years. Going out to County 1 would have to be done on the east side of the old yards (the west side wouldn't work because of the creek and wetlands). That route would require a grade crossing over the main and run-around track; as I understand it, at the County 1 end it would require the acquisition of a small sliver of land, that the owner is not willing to sell.

The current temporary workaround is another crossing near the Wawayanda bridge (19.9) connecting to the dead end of Orchard Street. Trucks would use that, Hamilton Avenue and Campbell Road to access Oakland Avenue (Rt. 94/17A). Not surprisingly there has been some vocal NIMBY opposition, but apparently its a done deal.

Permanent solution (as of the latest, anyway) is a replacement bridge, either at the current location, or adjacent to it.
  by David Hutchinson

The area is now open and quite huge..... the County has been doing the work... does not look like it's for a crossing to connect Orchard Street, but I could be wrong....
  by Marty Feldner

Definitely for a new crossing. There's been some coverage in the local papers, also info at Village board meeting agendas and minutes. The latest legal notice concerning part of the process, from late last month:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by David Hutchinson

Yes, talked to the Town Supervisor. Forgot to ask why the County is doing the work and what type of protection will be put up.........
  by Marty Feldner

With the exception of State highways, the County is responsible for all bridges (an arrangement that goes back decades); as such they are responsible for the detour. Bringing connecting streets (Orchard Street) up to standards is the responsibility of the Village. As for crossing protection, since all of Jones Chemical trucks are hazmat, I'd think full protection (flashers and gates) would be needed.