• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

jhdeasy wrote:PV Photo Opportunity

BABBLING BROOK on train 49 (26) from NYP to CHI. First segment of a long cross-country circle trip.
According to FB, this trip is today, 7/26. 49 departs at 3:40.
  by jhdeasy

Jeff Smith wrote:How does this effect the various AAPRCO trips in September/October?
There is no expected impact on the AAPRCO "Spirit of St Louis" (2015 convention special train) which will operate as an Amtrak special train at all times, Chicago - Cincinnati - Louisville - St Louis - Chicago. In addition, the special train has little or no mileage on CSX; it is primarily NS and BNSF mileage.

The two private cars (BIRCH GROVE and MOONLIGHT DOME) advertising a trip beginning and ending in Cincinnati will begin and end their trip in Chicago, which is their new home base.
  by jhdeasy

Diner 8509 deadheading on rear of train 97(07).

Private cars BABBLING BROOK and BONNIE BROOK at the block at New Orleans. Definitely a unique NYC New England States moment at NOUPT, far removed in space and time from LaSalle Street Station or South Station in the 1940s thru 1960s.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Today, observed #5 (9) passing 18.32 about 55 ML.

At rear of "normal" consist (still no sign of a V-Bag), were three Iowa Pacific cars; two were IC liveried Sleepers (Baton Rouge one of 'em), and a stainless Big Dome lettered Iowa Pacific.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Heads up for those living along the Empire Builder Route. While at Carkeek Park tonight, I observed today's Empire Builder Train # 8 with a UP engine leading. It departed Seattle about an hour and thirty five minutes late.
  by Train2009

Train #157 had a deadhead ex Metroliner cab car this morning in the front of the train as seen in Stamford, CT.
Also train #49 out of New York - Penn Station this afternoon had a Horizon car #58002 as the last car of the train.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Ms. Matos has provided us with a video of the Horizon in a 49, Lake Shore, consist and that she has posted to the Video topic.
  by gregorygrice

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Ms. Matos has provided us with a video of the Horizon in a 49, Lake Shore, consist and that she has posted to the Video topic.
Went south on 48 in service Sunday, deadheaded back up on 49 Monday.
  by Literalman

I saw a couple of Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars on the rear of the Cardinal no. 50 at Alexandria, Va., on Friday, Aug. 21. I hadn't heard of them before; they are luxury charter railcars.
  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote:FRA/DOTX 216 was seen parked at Sunnyside yard today.
It left this morning on train #91 as per Facebook's Amtrak Northeast Corridor railfans group.
  by JimBoylan

Literalman wrote:I saw a couple of Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars on the rear of the Cardinal no. 50 at Alexandria, Va., on Friday, Aug. 21. I hadn't heard of them before; they are luxury charter railcars.
phcp.com/the-train/
  by jhdeasy

Today a friend said he saw a MARC diesel locomotive towing two blue and silver passenger cars north on the NEC in the vicinity of Seabrook MD. He noted one car was named CHANNEL BASS, which is a NCDOT coach assigned to Piedmont service. He thought the other car's name may have been PLOT HOLLAND, or something similar. I am wondering if this second car was actually NCDOT's cafe car PAMLICO SOUND, or maybe one of the car's NCDOT acquired from the Greenbrier Express auction or other sources and has since renamed. I'll assume the cars' destination was Delaware Car Company in Wilmington DE.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery, particularly the second car?

UPDATE 8/27: Another friend tells me the second NCDOT car was 400006 PLOT HOUND, a coach of KCS ancestry. He says the Plott Hound is the official state dog of the state of North Carolina. The name of the dog breed is spelled with two T's, but the name lettered on the car contains only one T.