• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #4 (29) today - "a little late"

On the rear was PPCX 800203 "Moonlight Dome", ex C&O, B&O, SCL, AMTK, various PV, which has now been liveried B&O.

I was unable to observe whether the floodlight equipment has been restored; Amtrak of course had no use for "those kind of trappings".

Still, no sign of a V-Bag; has "something bad" happened such as BNSF refusing to accept those cars?

The "survivors" (H-Bags) aren't getting any younger.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Absent "something bad", such as BNSF refusing to accept V-Bags on their road (that would kill every Western transcon save Sunset), I'm at a loss as to why they have not yet been so assigned. I've now seen 'em at Lumber Street passing by on the BNSF (another "poor man's to O'Hare coming up in a few weeks; Symphony next month), but not over the road in revenue service.

If, as Mr. Backshop reports, there is only one "batch" remaining at CAF(edit to correct: on Amtrak property), then the original order has been delivered; accepted or not, a big question. Now all that remain are the "substitutes", for which Amtrak will have to find "make work" for them - or have them suffer same fate, i.e. political slings and arrows, as other "equipment blunders" of late - you know; Talgos, 37000's, T-word.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote:Believe the last batch of View II Bags were still in Fla testing. :(
Isn't there still one more batch of 10 waiting to be delivered?

In any event we're getting real close to all of them being on site.
  by gregorygrice

Greg Moore wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Believe the last batch of View II Bags were still in Fla testing. :(
Isn't there still one more batch of 10 waiting to be delivered?

In any event we're getting real close to all of them being on site.
Should be 12 remaining if iirc
  by Train2009

Lake Shore Limited train #48 (2) which it left Chicago, IL last night has private car Georgia 300.
  by lstone19

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Absent "something bad", such as BNSF refusing to accept V-Bags on their road (that would kill every Western transcon save Sunset), I'm at a loss as to why they have not yet been so assigned. I've now seen 'em at Lumber Street passing by on the BNSF, but not over the road in revenue service.
To put that idea to rest, I saw a V-Bag on yesterday's #7 departing CUS. So I think we can safely assume it was going to be operating on BNSF later in the day.
  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity: MOUNT VERNON from NYP to NFL on train 281 (10) and from NFL to NYP on train 284 (14)
  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Observed #4 (29) today - "a little late"

On the rear was PPCX 800203 "Moonlight Dome", ex C&O, B&O, SCL, AMTK, various PV, which has now been liveried B&O.

I was unable to observe whether the floodlight equipment has been restored; Amtrak of course had no use for "those kind of trappings".
Mr. Norman:

The floodlights once mounted on MOONLIGHT DOME's roof by the B&O were removed many years ago. None of the car's private owners (there have been at least 4 since the car's NRPC days) have seen fit to restore that capability.
  by Train2009

After 6 PM tonight ACS64 (#643?) pull out a Atlanta Braves charter train #826 from Washington, DC - Union Station has it is now enroute to Philadelphia 30th Street. Three cars on this charter train: 1 AmCafe, 1 Amfleet I coach, & Conference Car #9800. Consist will return as deadhead equipment as #827 as per Facebook's Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans group.
  by Train2009

As per Luxury Rail Vacations NYC-43 private car will be heading on Amtrak train #42 from Philly to New York City this afternoon, it leaves 30th Street at 3:25 PM.
  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity:

MOUNT VERNON on train 51 (16) from New York to Chicago; NEW YORK CENTRAL 38 added behind MOUNT VERNON on train 51 (16) from Washington to Huntington.

MOUNT VERNON on train 48 (21) from Chicago to New York.
  by Arlington

Sorry if this has been covered, but what will happen to PVs when all the NEC trains have been re-carded for 125mph with the advent of V-II bags and diners? Do we think their movements will be limited to off-hours on trains like 66/67 (where overnight trains don't need the speed anyway), or will prices go up to offset the operational risks/losses of PV trains having to operate more slowly?
  by Greg Moore

Arlington wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but what will happen to PVs when all the NEC trains have been re-carded for 125mph with the advent of V-II bags and diners? Do we think their movements will be limited to off-hours on trains like 66/67 (where overnight trains don't need the speed anyway), or will prices go up to offset the operational risks/losses of PV trains having to operate more slowly?
My recollection is they will either need to move on 66/67 or pay (which none apparently want to and can't blame them) to 125mph.
  by chuchubob

jhdeasy wrote:PV photo opportunity:

MOUNT VERNON on train 51 (16) from New York to Chicago; NEW YORK CENTRAL 38 added behind MOUNT VERNON on train 51 (16) from Washington to Huntington.

MOUNT VERNON on train 48 (21) from Chicago to New York.
Train 51 Cardinal approaching 30th Street Station with PV Mount Vernon on the rear.