• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Fritz

Casey,
Interestingly, that sat just clear of the north siding switch at Lyndonville for at least 45 minutes starting at 1621. I am not sure what they were waiting for. They only had two cars then (tank car and covered hopper), although it looked like they had set out 2 hoppers for CTI there.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the DAWJ (I think that is the correct symbol for the Bellows Falls to White River run) a regularly-scheduled train or just as needed? I was curious why so many cars had been accumulating in the White River yard week before last.
Thanks!
Fritz
  by NHV 669

I believe it is part of the trackage rights negotiated under the Pan Am acquisition that allows VRS to shuttle their cars between points on their their system versus waiting 2-3 days or more for NECR to move them the short distance to BF.
  by MRY

I was in Montpelier on Wednesday. The rock (rip rap) business is busy. Many loaded and unloaded cars parked way down the former route thru downtown. Broken up into multiple strings to leave crossings open. Two engines and several cars parked south of the traffic roundabout. Does the distillery get grain by the carload? I saw a glimpse of a closed hopper car near it.
  by NHV 669

NPWJ departed Lyndonville at 13:04 with 204 and 12 cars.

[Edited at 14:02]

Into St. J at 13:35, sounds like they dropped 5 cars at Calkins pit.
  by NHV 669

MRY wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 pm I was in Montpelier on Wednesday. The rock (rip rap) business is busy. Many loaded and unloaded cars parked way down the former route thru downtown. Broken up into multiple strings to leave crossings open. Two engines and several cars parked south of the traffic roundabout. Does the distillery get grain by the carload? I saw a glimpse of a closed hopper car near it.
I can't speak for the hoppers, but I notice they're visible on Google Maps; two on the aerial, and a third on street view:

236 Barre St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JU83XorZcigDL9EHA

Not sure what the symbol is (L012?) that forwards the NECR (MCER too?) pickups to West Springfield, but it had 14 granite loads today.
Screenshot_20240430_181616_YouTube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.