• Victoria Station Burlington mass

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Guilford Guy

Ok well I drove by Victoria Station in Burlington yesterday and all the boxcars and the caboose are gone, just wondering if anyone knew where they went, Hope they weren't scrapped

by Ron Newman

There was a former railroad station in Burlington? Where?

by Ed Canney

The Victoria Station was a restaurant located on the Middlesex Turnpike across from the Burlington Mall. The rolling stock was used as part of the restaurant. I think it may have gone out of business a few years ago. There is Victoria Station restaurant at Pickering Wharf in Salem MA, but I don’t think it has any cars.

by caduceus

Ed Canney wrote:The Victoria Station was a restaurant located on the Middlesex Turnpike across from the Burlington Mall. The rolling stock was used as part of the restaurant. I think it may have gone out of business a few years ago. There is Victoria Station restaurant at Pickering Wharf in Salem MA, but I don’t think it has any cars.
Definitely nothing at Pickering Wharf - I was there on Monday. They did have the old English signage on the inside though.

It used to be a big chain, but went bankrupt in the 80s. Salem is the only one remaining still operated by the original company, but some others may have split off and retained the name and/or theme.

There was one in Framingham as well, off Rte. 30 I think. I think it is something else now...Bugaboo Creek maybe?

The one in Burlington didn't close that long ago...

by Guilford Guy

hmmm, I think eh caboose may have been savd but the boxcars were probably scrapped :-(

by NealG

It is going to become a Border Cafe. The Burlington Victoria Station was a bit out of place as Burlington is one of the few towns in eastern Massachusetts that never had a railroad within its corporate boundaries.

by Ron Newman

Although every town surrounding it did -- Bedford, Billerica, Lexington, Wilmington, Woburn

by Robert Paniagua

I work weekends at the Burlington Mall (sometimes) since Sept 5, 1998 and I definitely remember the Victoria Station Restaurant. But it was never a train station, it was just a restaurant. Now, it's all an empty land, bulldozed since it closed, hopefully as the topic originator says, they saved one of the cars.

Now, as NealG says, it'll be a new Border's and that's not the only thing being built in the area. The Front end of Burlington Mall itself is being rebuilt to include the Nordstrom's.

But again, Burlington, stange enough, never had any rails touch their official city limits in the modern era, just that Victoria Station.

by caboose9

Robert Paniagua said, "I remember the Victoria Station Restaurant. It's all empty land, bulldozed, hopefully they saved one of the cars."

The caboose was reported as ex-Southern Railway. Roger

by eriemike

I have eaten at the Victorian Station Restaurant in Burlington and they had some good steaks. I don't think that most of the box cars could have been saved as they had their sides cut open to accomadate the inside layout of the restaurant. As I recall, the cabose was pretty much intact and I am glad to hear that it was saved.

There was a Victoria Station Restaurant on Fort Point Channel by the Children's Museum in Boston, but that was taken down to make way for the new Moakly Bridge. That was set up just like the one in Burlington.

Most of the railroadiana inside was British and not of a lot showing US RR.

Another unique landmark disappears! :(

by caboose9

eriemike said, "As I recall, the caboose was pretty much intact and I am glad to hear that it was saved."

Hi,

I don't believe anyone knows if the caboose was saved or not.

The original poster said the caboose *might* have been saved.

Roger

by NellsChoo

I was also wondering where everything inside and out ended up. Everything from my past has been torn down or went out of business, it seems...

:(
  by JDtowerMaryland

I remember as a kid seeing this strange "new place" (darien location) being built out of my favorite old resturaunt. That being said, I was sooo happy when they brought the box cvars and caboose.. As early teenagers, my brother and I thought the food was "ok" but boy did we love getting all the free wooden stick matches they had in all the buckets. We had no use for them(other then to light fire crackers in our yard) but they were fun to get regardless. Later (when we both became of age to drink) I have many fond memmories of going to the happy hour(I was always amazed that it started at something like 11pm and went till 1am) and sitting in the cupola(sp?) of the caboose and enjoying 22 ounce bass ale for (i think something like 1 dollar). We alkl loved the nice tall Victoria Station glasses. In the winter, I can remember during teh snow, we could watch cars get into accidents in the snow while we sat and drank our pbass and ponder the finer points of life. We both moved away and sadly upon a visit(first after almost 20 years) the place was gone... But the place was a wealth opf fon memmories...

Just my humble 2 cents :-)
  by Agent at Clicquot

The Framingham location was on the short road that connects Rtes 9 & 30. Wal-Mart is presently on the Rte 9 end and McDonald's on the Rte 30 end. The site is now a Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse.

The Victoria Station resturant was torn down c.1995. I worked in the area during this time and would watch the progress as the site was cleared.

While I can't say where it went, the caboose did leave the property well ahead of the boxcars.

* JB *

by Choo Choo Coleman

I actually worked a few days at Victoria Station for a construction crew probably a dozen years ago. It was the final three days before I went back to college and a friend asked if I wanted to pick up a few bucks doing grunt work. Needing money, I said sure and proceeded to break cement and knock down walls inside the rail cars all day long. One of the hardest jobs I ever had to do. I had thought I was in shape but breaking cement is another level. They had some good hamburgers and was a decent place to eat. Too bad it's gone, it had a unique style.