• Veolia Transportation Asked to Assess LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 9C1LT1

According to a few drivers I know Veolia gave NICE drivers a small raise, but it was off set by paying more into medical. The Supervisors on the other hand lost their union and took a small cut in pay.
  by LongIslandTool

Veola met informally with a major operating union this weekend and discussed work rules, pension, stabilization of force, etc.
  by workextra

If I may ask, Why does everything have to be so secretive? Why not say Vieola met with (UTU/BLE/TCW) Ect. to discuss (information being discussed)....?
  by Steamboat Willie

Tool, is the scope of Veolia's assessment going to include others under the MTA umbrella? (MNCR, Bridges & Tunnels, NYCT.) I am sure if the governor had his way he would try and unload the RR's off the MTA's plate.
  by Krowa08

What would happen to capital programs like ESA if such a switch were to occur?

Maybe this is a way for Cuomo to kill ESA like Christie killed the ARC?
  by hotbike

So maybe we will see a new paint scheme on the LIRR Rolling Stock? It would be a boon to the Photographers.

I've linked some photos of #1826, the first Bus I've seen in the new Livery.

So get yourself a bottle of Floquil Traction Orange, and change the Livery on your models.

I have NOT seen the proposed new Livery for the M7's, but I will try to find it.
  by jlr3266

Krowa08 wrote:What would happen to capital programs like ESA if such a switch were to occur?

The idea is to merge the two railroads. All of the other agencies would remain separate (not that I see the merge happening).

Um..kill ESA? NOW? After Billions have been spent? That is not quite like killing ARC was at all!
  by Krowa08

jlr3266 wrote:
Krowa08 wrote:What would happen to capital programs like ESA if such a switch were to occur?

The idea is to merge the two railroads. All of the other agencies would remain separate (not that I see the merge happening).

Um..kill ESA? NOW? After Billions have been spent? That is not quite like killing ARC was at all!
Let me rephrase that to "postpone" the ESA construction.

I don't see a public company like this ever agreeing to capital projects to improve the road. They would only want to improve the bottom line figure.

Then again we all know how the MTA operates.
  by R36 Combine Coach

jlr3266 wrote:

The MNCR/LIRR merger proposal was floated back in 2002.
  by Head-end View

I can't believe Veolia is wasting money repainting buses that were relatively new. I thought money was an issue in this privatizing of the bus system and they are cutting service to save money, right? BTW, at least 2 other busses have been repainted also. Numbers 1816 and 1836 or 37; can't remember.
  by R36 Combine Coach

That reminds me when MTA Bus took over the private Queens carriers in 2005-06, many buses remained "patched" in their legacy colors for quite some time. Only when they were due for overhaul or major re-service did they get new paint coats.
  by workextra

Is this turning into a bus forum!!!!! Nice shots of NICE buses.
I was told it's a sticky film or some kind of shrink wrapping and not really paint that Vieola is applying to Nassau's buses. Any truth to this?
  by ElliotCourtney

ESA is too far along to halt, all the Manhattan drilling has been done. From the video the Public Affairs dept put out the other day on the ESA, it is getting very close. The federal money is in place along with the state money. There is no reason to stop. Plus the project is under MTA Capital constuction not the LIRR.
  by hotbike

Head-end View wrote:I can't believe Veolia is wasting money repainting buses that were relatively new. I thought money was an issue in this privatizing of the bus system and they are cutting service to save money, right? BTW, at least 2 other busses have been repainted also. Numbers 1816 and 1836 or 37; can't remember.
I am assuming that the 1800 series buses are getting the new colors first? IIRC, # 1804 also was painted in the new colors.
  by hotbike

workextra wrote:Is this turning into a bus forum!!!!! Nice shots of NICE buses.
I was told it's a sticky film or some kind of shrink wrapping and not really paint that Vieola is applying to Nassau's buses. Any truth to this?

Thank you, you're welcome.

I don't know, it looked like paint to me. Also, remember that the shrink wrap is often applied, in perforated form, over the windows of vehicles. None of the new color covers the windows.

I showed one of these pictures to a bus rider, he pronounces the name "Nee-Say". I think the little triangle in the name is interpreted as an accent mark . In France, by comparison, there is a city on the Med called Nice, but it's pronounced "niece", just one syllable. The French Empire was doomed when they got thrown out of Haiti. Creole is only loosely based on French. But I think that accent mark was unintended, and is confusing some people who ride the Bus.