• UTU Back Pay

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by 10more years

The only way you will get back pay is if you worked as conductor since the end of last agreement. Did you receive engineer signing bonus last year. I'm with CSX and our system agreement included signing bonus, I can't, off the top of my head, remember if BLE National included bonus or not. Whether you belong to BLE&T or UTU doesn't matter. Backpay is figured on each job worked and the craft you were working. I don't think bonus money takes away from backpay.
  by doublecamp52

I havent worked as a conductor only a few times. I was reading the contract and it does have provisions for engineers also. I work a mine run so really not sure. I did get the bonus in Feb of last year but like you said I am not a member of BLE have only been a member of UTU. Thanks for the help.
  by Burner

doublecamp52 wrote:Hello I have a question. I work for NS Railway as a engineer. I belong to the UTU and have for twenty years plus. Will I receive retroactive wage pay even though I have a bonus I receive each year for being an engineer. I do not belong to the BLE. Thanks for any advice.

Well it doesnt really matter which union you belong to... It matters what CONTRACT you work under.

If you have been working as an engineer since july 1 2004, then you are not entitled to a dime... If you were a conductor during any part of that time since july 1 2004, then you will get the retroactive pay increases for the time you worked as a conductor.
  by doublecamp52

THank You Very Much for the reply. I just wasnt sure. Have worked both so I guess we will see. Again my Thanks.
  by CSX Conductor

Is it August 29th yet ??!?!?!??!?! :-D
  by ThrottleJockey1975

Anyone working as a conductor or brakeman between the expiration of the previous contract (June 30, 2005) and the ratification of the new agreement on July 1 2008 is entitled to retroactive wages. This retroactive pay is of course offset by previous COLA increases and health and welfare. These will of course be deducted from the retroactive pay. The BLE signing bonus will also be deducted from the retroactive wages for dual trained employees that may have worked both on the ground by either demotion or flow-back. Any employee that has worked on the ground between the two dates listed above, and was gainfully employed by the carrier on July 1, 2008 is entitled to the retroactive pay. This came from the GC Lesniewski's office. The individual who is and has been marked off at NS for a few months but not terminated according to a CSXT/UTU GC is entitled to full retroactive wages. Time will tell.
  by changed

Thanks for the input!! Hopefully I will see a check I am sure small but still something
  by youdunnome

can someone tell me why would it even matter if you work for them still or not why they would not be required to pay money owed ....that is a debt.... if i go and sell my car i cant just tell the bank well i dont have that car anymore im not paying you ...please explain this to me and if its because it was negotiated into the "contract" please explain to me why in the world anyone would ever agree to that? the carrier rips us off everyday that we are employed by them...and evidentally even when were gone ....also id like to know why everyone is not raised up to 100% wage with this contract ..i would have figured that would have been a critical point in your "negotiations" since most of the work force is new guys doing the same jobs as the old heads but getting paid less ...it just dont make sense.
  by changed

I no longer work for NS and got email today of my paystub for the backpay...... so not sure what to tell ya.... I worked there and should get what I deserve little bit of a difference with a car issue there... kinda of a dumb way of thinking!!!
  by Burner

youdunnome wrote:can someone tell me why would it even matter if you work for them still or not why they would not be required to pay money owed ....that is a debt.... if i go and sell my car i cant just tell the bank well i dont have that car anymore im not paying you ...please explain this to me and if its because it was negotiated into the "contract" please explain to me why in the world anyone would ever agree to that? the carrier rips us off everyday that we are employed by them...and evidentally even when were gone ....also id like to know why everyone is not raised up to 100% wage with this contract ..i would have figured that would have been a critical point in your "negotiations" since most of the work force is new guys doing the same jobs as the old heads but getting paid less ...it just dont make sense.

Read... The contract, the forums, something... Just read and the answer will display itsself.
  by CSX Conductor

Unfortunately I didn't get as much as I was hoping. Uncle Sam is probably happy with his share. Still, after everything taken out I guess I shouldn't complain as it's still like found money. I just wish that CSXT would provide some sort of documents showing the figures they came up with.
  by Burner

CSX Conductor wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get as much as I was hoping. Uncle Sam is probably happy with his share. Still, after everything taken out I guess I shouldn't complain as it's still like found money. I just wish that CSXT would provide some sort of documents showing the figures they came up with.

Come on people...

READ THE AGREEMENT!!!!!!

Your local or general chairman has details on the process for getting the information you are seeking, but you only ahve 30 days from the time the payday you recieved the backpay.