• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by lackman

Assuming the Utica Branch gets totally rebuilt, what industries or usage strategy is there for the railroad from Shurburne south to Chenago Forks?

Always wondered why detour trains always used the Syracuse side instead of Utica side when it was up and running. Coming from the East on the water level route, it seems more direct to use the Utica branch vs going to Syracuse and backtracking to go west.

I wonder if during the rebuilding, they will take steps to minimize new flooding if it occurs so it doesn't damage the railroad again.

Anyways, thanks all for the posts. Visit here every day to keep up to speed on my favorite former part of the Lackawanna.
lackman
  by ut-1

I'm late in posting these photos but I still thought they'd be of interest. On March 16th, the NYS&W ran a Holland "Track Star" track geometry vehicle on the Utica branch. I caught the crew on Schuyler St and also in Clayville. Here goes:

1. Southbound on Schuyler Street.

2. Along Utica's North-South Arterial.

3. Crossing the Sauquoit Creek, New Hartford.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

4. Approaching Lower Main Crossing, Clayville.

5. Passing the big tie pile, Clayville.

6. All Stop! Clayville.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

7. Marking a trouble spot, Clayville.

8. Job done, returning to Track Star.

9. Sup't Wayne D. walking the line.
  by milkman

Today I took a different way home so I could see if anything was going on south of Norwich.There was equipment parked on the tracks by the Halfway House bridge.I also noticed last week that they have cleared brush as far north as Earlville.
  by lvrr325

lackman wrote:Assuming the Utica Branch gets totally rebuilt, what industries or usage strategy is there for the railroad from Shurburne south to Chenago Forks?

Always wondered why detour trains always used the Syracuse side instead of Utica side when it was up and running. Coming from the East on the water level route, it seems more direct to use the Utica branch vs going to Syracuse and backtracking to go west.

I wonder if during the rebuilding, they will take steps to minimize new flooding if it occurs so it doesn't damage the railroad again.

Anyways, thanks all for the posts. Visit here every day to keep up to speed on my favorite former part of the Lackawanna.
lackman

It may be they had more crews qualified for the Syracuse side, or that CSX could re-crew them at an established terminal (DeWitt). Also, certainly the Syracuse side was in better shape at that point. The Triangle excursion I rode from Utica back to Syracuse there were some really rough spots down around Norwich.
  by ut-1

Here is UT-1 charging up Paris Hill the morning of April 19th in Sauquoit:
  by milkman

Saw something interesting today as I was going by the crossing by the Halfway House Bridge.The railroad crew was there and what looked like a flatbed trailer was heading north on the tracks with 2 very large culvert pipes.There was also what looked like 2 very large concrete dry wells sitting beside the rail bed.I'm sure they weren't dry wells but have to do something with drainage.So it looks like they are taking steps to make the railroad more flood resistant.
  by CMurphy

I'm no expert on the line or what is happening to it, aside for the article link posted below. Since one poster here asked about customers on the line, I do know that Chobani Yogurt is right next to the tracks just north of Norwich, and another shipper was also mentioned in other press accounts. Do note that last week it was announced the the owner of the co.is distributing 10% of the stock to its workers- some of those folks will be millionaires, should it go public.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/m ... ine--47703
  by CMurphy

One other thing- a poster asked if the repair work would keep washouts from happening again: those floods were of historic proportions. It was somewhat lucky that they did not start some work in 2011 as some had hoped, because the storm that year was as bad. (Historically, the worst floods in Upstate happen when a hurricane stalls over the Northeast; Agnes in '72 stalled for 3 weeks!) Hopefully the plans in place hold up under the next onslaught, but it's tough to beat Mother Nature for an extended period of time!
  by milkman

Yesterday when I was at the Halfway House crossing I saw a tri axle dump truck dump a load of crushed stone at the crossing.I also noticed that the 2 dry wells were gone.There must have been some major damage done on the line in the area behind Walmart because the railroad crew has been working at this site for a while now and they're not done yet.
  by milkman

Went by Woods Corners and noticed they have a lot more railroad ties stored there and there was a flat bed tractor trailer there with a couple more of those concrete dry wells .Someone also told me that the crew has started filling in the washouts below Oxford down towards Brisben.I'll have to check it out.
  by ut-1

Milkman & CMurphy: Thanks for your informative posts!

Milkman: Where exactly is Halfway House crossing? I'd like to try to grab some pics.

Here's a photo of UT-1 heading up Paris Hill in Sauquoit yesterday:
  by milkman

ut-1 wrote:Milkman & CMurphy: Thanks for your informative posts!

Milkman: Where exactly is Halfway House crossing? I'd like to try to grab some pics.

Here's a photo of UT-1 heading up Paris Hill in Sauquoit yesterday:
The Halfway House crossing is a couple of miles south of Walmart, It's midway between Norwich and Oxford.Connects Rt 12 and county Rt 32.
  by lvrr325

Too bad they let all the excursion stuff go, I bet some short round trips out of Norwich would do well on Memorial Day weekend.