• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ut-1

Here's another pic taken while CSX provided interchange service in the Utica yard on Nov 3rd:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ricky

i read on facebook today that nysw send a test train from sangerfield to sheburne. :-D
  by ut-1

Yes, Ricky, and here's the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Md-HOBzOM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, two pics:

1. A North Brookfield family gather to watch the first train in half a decade pass by their business, Kling's Mills.

2. NYS&W GP40 3040 southbound in North Brookfield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ricky

ut-1 wrote:Yes, Ricky, and here's the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Md-HOBzOM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, two pics:

1. A North Brookfield family gather to watch the first train in half a decade pass by their business, Kling's Mills.

2. NYS&W GP40 3040 southbound in North Brookfield.
thanks ut 1 for video link for this video. :-D
  by lackman

1. Why does 3040 always sound like there is a bunch of crazy squirrels chattering all the time? Is there some type of relay problems with the unit?

2. Why did they do this run to Sherburne? Are they contemplating new business or getting ready for repairs on the line farther south? Doubt if they did this just for grins, so there must be some reason to tie up the crews watching the crossings and the hi railer and run the engine back and forth?

Love the fall foliage. Miss New York State. :( Miss the southern tier. :(

Lackman
  by NYS&W142Fan

Best thing one could do is to look at the line and potential customers. See if any work has recently been done on the sidings. Based upon the video added to the fact a Hi-rail preceded the move, my guess is they are looking at resumption of service to a customer. Time will tell. If you notice the Hi rail was there more for making sure the crossings are working proper. I seriously doubt they would be starting a track rehabilitation this time of year.
  by ut-1

With a hard frost the night before & plenty of leaves about, UT-1 used its sanders while ascending Paris Hill's 1.8% grade yesterday morning resulting in quite a smoky display! Plenty of exhaust from atop too.

Here are two pics:
  by ut-1

Here, the NYS&W is shown shoving a short freight northbound today on Schuyler Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftqaL8uAws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ricky

did nysw open 20 miles of track from sangerfield to sheburne back in service? last time i heard it was still out of service.
  by lackman

Where are the box cars going? Always see many hoppers and occasional tank cars but this is the first time I see boxes going up Paris Hill.
Great videos.
Lackman
  by ut-1

Hi Lackman: The boxcars are empties out of New Hartford's Oneida Warehouse. With the long siding along the North-South arterial now OOS, the Susquehanna has been been taking empties to Sangerfield along with any loads they have for that location.

Here's a video link & a photo showing some rare (for these days at least) night action, taken last night at the northerly end of Schuyler St:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3KtCbHa7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by lackman

Sounds odd to drag empty cars up Paris Hill to Sangerfield, and then run around and drag them back to Utica.
I would think the engine would burn more fuel, so it would cost the railroad a lot.
Looks like your recent videos only show 3040. What happens when the traffic is really heavy in Sangerfield? Will they lease another unit, especially if they are dragging extra "baggage" around for the lack of a run around siding in Utica?

Does the warehouse get many cars a week? What about the beverage distributer by burstone road in New York Mills?

Why did the long siding by Scheidelmans go out of service?

Thanks again !!!!
Lackman
  by ut-1

Hi Lackman:

I think Oneida Warehouse in New Hartford receives 5-10 boxcars per week.

I haven't seen a boxcar at McCraith Beverage in New York Mills in quite a while, not sure if that is significant. Perhaps I've missed them.

The "canal branch" siding (which runs parallel to the North-South Arterial running past the old Scheidelman Warehouse) was placed OOS after the "runaway" covered hopper incident in July. I'm informed the railroad will never use that siding again. The only other runaround is the one in New York Mills.

The Susquehanna did lease a CSX engine this spring to help with the seasonal increase in traffic to Waterville & Sangerfield.

Here is a pic of that engine taken on April 14th: