• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Steve F45

what is the road number for that plow? I thought they had gotten rid of it.
  by thebigham

^I tried a Google search. Nothing.

I asked on the Yahoo email group.
  by thebigham

^Thanks!

That website was down yesterday when I was doing my search.
  by ut-1

On Feb 11th, I was able to catch the snowplowing operation in action as the crew plowed to Sangerfield (see previous page for pics of the plow returning to Utica on Feb 2nd). Here are some photos:

1) "Not Your Typical City Plow"

2) "Passing Through Chadwicks"

3) "Climbing Paris Hill, Clayville"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ut-1 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by ut-1

4) "High-Steppin' Across Main St, Clayville"

5) "Next Crossing In Sight, Clayville"

6) "Passing DL&W Milemarker 270, Paris Station"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

7) "Comes A Plow, Waterville"

8) "Another View, Waterville"

9) "Not A Bridge Too Far, Waterville"
  by NYS&W142Fan

Does the Susie "Q" still have the plow numbered 92? I saw it a few years ago in Bingo yard along with a another unit, number 105 I think. That unit was more like a Jordan spreader.
  by Steve F45

im pretty sure they do, it was down in Bingo with the spreader normally. 91 is down here in NJ, or it could be 92 is here in nj and 91 is in Bingo?
  by ut-1

1) Feb 17th, about 3pm, just coming off Schuyler Street, West Utica. It's 12 degrees with plenty of snow on the ground.

2) Feb 20th, late morning.It's very cold, zero degree F, with winds gusting 10-20 mph. The crew tried taking 5 loaded covered hoppers to Sangerfield but the line was snowbound & they only made it about 5 miles (it's 23 miles from Utica to Sangerfield); they tied down the 5 hoppers on the main, approx 9/10ths mile north of Washington Mills, just before a bridge. The 3040 then proceeded light to Sangerfield. It is shown here nearing the Kellogg Rd crossing, Washington Mills.

3) Approx 1 hour later, the 3040 has reached the line's summit in Paris Station. It is shown here barreling through a snow drift at approx 15MPH.
  by ut-1

No videos yet, Steve, but I'll give that a try eventually.

Here are a few more pics showing 3040 northbound in Washington Mills on the very cold (1 degree with 10-15 mph winds) late afternoon of Feb 23rd :
  by charlie6017

Nice job on the photos! :-D
  by ut-1

Here are a few photos taken of the snowplow in action on March 2nd:

1. "A Ray of Golden Sun In White Maelstrom, Clayville"

2. "Approaching Dewey Ave, Clayville"

3. "Welcome to Paris Station"
  by milkman

http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2015 ... d-repairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like it may be another year before repairs are made on the Utica line.It did say that the NYS&W Railroad repaired the wash out in Earlville but the other repairs have not even been put out to bid yet because of more red tape that the CCIDA has to complete yet.