• USA Rail Pass is back!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by bostontrainguy

Amtrak is relaunching its USA Rail Pass by offering the 10-ride pass for $299 through June 22, a savings of $200 over the regular price. The electronic pass allows up to 10 segments of coach travel in a 30-day period; trips involving a connection will count for two segments, and upgrades to Business class or sleeping-car accommodations are not available.
  by electricron

Great discount on 10 rides, but very disappointed not being able to use them with business or sleeper class.
I have to have a sleeper for an overnight train, need a cpap machine to sleep. So I would use the 10 rides pass on shorter daylight only regional trains. How I would use one, take a long distance train to Chicago (or fly), then use the 10 trip fares to and from Chicago on five of the following trains;
Blue Water, Wolverine, Saluki, Lincoln, Sandburg, Hiawatha, Cardinal (Indianapolis).
Most of these have multiple trains a day, it is possible to leave Chicago in the morning and arriving back in Chicago that same night. So there would be one week long or so booking at a Chicago hotel.
You could do the same thing in DC as well;
Day trains to and from Savanah, Lynchburg, Norfolk, Charlotte, NEC as far north as you would like - but nor always two trains per day for an out and in on the same day.
Otherwise, it would be difficult for me to use 10 trips without using a host city as a base.

But for those who can sleep in coach, the entire country can be spanned twice multiple times.
LSL, TE, CS, EB, CZ, CS, SC, C, SS, SM. What a trip that would make.
  by NH2060

Also if you’re someone like myself who has a great amount of difficulty breathing wearing a stupid (and let’s be honest a POINTLESS) face mask… you are definitely not going to want to travel/sleep only in coach for 24-48 hours at a time.
  by danib62

NH2060 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:56 pm Also if you’re someone like myself who has a great amount of difficulty breathing wearing a stupid (and let’s be honest a POINTLESS) face mask… you are definitely not going to want to travel/sleep only in coach for 24-48 hours at a time.
you should get that checked out.