• UPFE vs ARMN: What's the difference?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by NYCS

I've seen cuts of reefers on the east coast composed of a variety of yellow and white UP reefers, carrying the the UPFE and ARMN reporting marks, respectively. The yellow are Union Pacific Fruit Express, and the white often carry a logo for Union Pacific Chilled Express.

Wondering why Union Pacific has two separate reefer paint schemes, and reporting marks. Are these two separate business units or services? How do the cars differ in their operations? Do they each operate from a different area of the country, or carry different products based on their reporting marks?

What differentiates the UPFE and ARMN brands?

Thanks for any help!

by dhaugh

Wondered the same sorts of thing myself. I'd try posting on the 'rolling stock...' forum if you don't get any help here.

by NYSW13000

Sorry it took me so long to find this topic, but the difference between UPFE and ARMN is that the ARMN's have been replaced with more high-tech. cooling equipment. I may also add, most of the ARMN cars (possibly all) are ex. UPFE cars.

by roee

NYSW13000 wrote:Sorry it took me so long to find this topic, but the difference between UPFE and ARMN is that the ARMN's have been replaced with more high-tech. cooling equipment. I may also add, most of the ARMN cars (possibly all) are ex. UPFE cars.
Also the ARMN's have GPS tracking and alarm reporting. The ARMN units use the same type of chillers that Tractor Trailers use, where the ole UPFE uses't a much older style.

by John_Perkowski

There is also the small matter that, in its various mergers and acquisitions, UP Corporation took over American Refrigerator Transit.

I preume it works to UP's corporate benefit to use the American Refrigerator identity and reporting marks.

John Perkowski
A Shareholder in UP

by umtrr-author

The ARMN reporting marks were registered to Missouri Pacific, which was an owner of ART.

ART rolling stock once carried Wabash and then N&W heralds, but it seems reasonable to assume that at one point MP took control of the entire operation.

by slchub

Was looking at a couple of manifests rolling by on Sunday, and noticed that build date on the ARMN cars are 2004 and 2005.

by John_Perkowski

This bears repeating...
John_Perkowski wrote: I presume it works to UP's corporate benefit to use the American Refrigerator identity and reporting marks.

John Perkowski
A Shareholder in UP

by slchub

John,

My fav story is the one where the upper mgt "scrapped" some old UP cars, bought them up themselves, and are leasing them out to other RR's as well as UP. Not sure if it is an old rail legend or not, but sounds about right.

by ljeppson

As an aside, an ART reefer, that is an old ice job, was used to move ice from the now abandoned Salt Lake ice works near North Yard - SLC to the D&RGW at Roper Yard until the mid-1980's, long after stage icing was history. During that time that paricular car was the only car spotted at the iceworks, the rest of the ice was shipped out by truck and delivery van for restaurant use. In the heyday of stage icing this iceworks serviced whole strings of reefers.

by HoggerKen

NYSW13000 wrote:Sorry it took me so long to find this topic, but the difference between UPFE and ARMN is that the ARMN's have been replaced with more high-tech. cooling equipment. I may also add, most of the ARMN cars (possibly all) are ex. UPFE cars.
The ARMN marks are not only on all UPFE rebuilds, but 1500 new 74 foot high cube reefers as well. All feature Carrier units instead of the old noisy mechanicals. The new Wallula to Selkirk, NY perishable runs 55 solid high cube reefers.