• Upcoming Amtrak Eastern N.E. Day Trip - Next Week

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by shadyjay

For several years, I did an "Eastern New England Road Trip" from CT to ME via various out-of-the-way roads primarily to update my web site. With the rising cost of gas, and my discontinuance of a part of that site, I have replaced this year's trip with the Eastern New England Rail Trip. Here's the itinerary (on all Amtrak-operated trains):

Leave, OSB Train 66 536A (Old Saybrook)
Arrive, BBY 747A (Boston-Back Bay)
**Transfer BBY TO BON**
Leave, BON Downeaster 905A (Boston-North Sta)
Arrive, POR Downeaster 11:35A (Portland)
Leave, POR Downeaster 12:50P
Arrive, BON Downeaster 3:20P
** Transfer BON to BOS **
Leave, BOS Acela Express 2193 5:20P (Boston-South Sta)
Arrive, NHV 7:23P (New Haven)
Leave, NHV Shore Line East 7:48P
Arrive, OSB 8:31P

When I went to UNH, I would take Amtrak regularly from OSB to BOS, but that was 1996-98, and I haven't ridden the Shore Line east of Old Saybrook since that time. So I look forward to the trip. I have used my Guest Rewards points to have the Downeaster roundtrip (including business class-SB) paid for so I only had to pay for the "Corridor" portion. This will also be my first trip on Acela, and the first trip on the Downeaster service. I realize the scheduling on the trip is tight and quite dependent on 66's on-time arrival into Boston - since its the night train, I don't think this should be too much of an issue. The transfer to North Station from Back Bay shouldn't take too long (right?).

A couple questions:

Acela Express - is it reserved seating, or first-come first-serve? Obviously I know what side of the train to sit on for the best view. Do Acelas fill up at BOS? Or does it fill up further down the line?

Downeasters - are they running the Amfleets with the 2-1 business class / cafe center / table section cars like on the Vermonter, Ethan Allen, etc?
In Portland, is there a place "REAL CLOSE" to the station to grab a bite to eat? I'm not picky - McDonalds, a deli, whatever. I only have an hour and change layover. That is, if everything is on time. How is the DE's performance been as of late? Is Business Class seating reserved or is it f/c - f/s?

Any other hints/suggestions? I have never been to North Station before - and from what I've heard, I am not missing much. Can I take a couple quick pictures there? I used to at South Station without problems, back in the late 90s.

I'll post a trip report and some pics on NERAIL after the trip is complete.

Jay

by natethegreat

shadyjay wrote:The transfer to North Station from Back Bay shouldn't take too long (right?).
No, just hop on the Orange line subway, it goes from North Station to Back Bay. It should take less then a half hour.
shadyjay wrote:Downeasters - are they running the Amfleets with the 2-1 business class / cafe center / table section cars like on the Vermonter, Ethan Allen, etc?
In Portland, is there a place "REAL CLOSE" to the station to grab a bite to eat?

Last time I rode the Downeaster Business Class was 2-1 seating. I would recommend trying the food in the Downeaster's cafe. It is not the regular food that is served on all other Amtrak cafes. Unless it has changed recently, the food is catered by a company in Portland. Business class is reserved on the Downeaster. Coach Seating is also reserved.

The Acela is reserved seating. All corridor trains are reserved.
As for Boston's North Station, it is one of the least aesthetically pleasing stations I have ever been in. I believe the "T" is very strict about photo permits, but I'm sure someone can fill us in on that.

by shadyjay

Actually, I didn't mean RESERVED, but instead ASSIGNED. Meaning, "Welcome Aboard Shady Jay - Here's Your Seat - Don't Move" or "Anywhere in this car is fine".
  by jp1822

No assigned seating for either Downeaster or Acela Express - and I agree to try lunch aboard the Downeaster, as the old historic Portland train station is no more. Rather, the current station is more of an intermodal facility serving bus and train. You won't have enough time to take a taxi to/from downtown Portland etc.

The Downeaster business class is 2-1 seating throughout with the more refurbished interior business class seats that you would find on the Vermonter (just that the business class seating is on both sides of the cafe). There's no tables - all at seat eating. Some how passengers know business class from coach class. I enjoyed the Downeaster Business Class seating and said as much to Amtrak in a letter. The onboard service I found to be better than on the regular Amfleet corridor trains.

If boarding at Boston South Station, obviously you'll have a more choice in your seating aboard Acela Express. By Boston Back Bay Station, I've usally found Acela Express to be nearly filled up. So see if you can ask an Amtrak agent at Boston Back Bay Station what end the First Class Car is on and then you'll want to position yourself to be on the platform opposite of it (i.e. if First Class car is first passenger car on the trainset, then position yourself so you are more towards the back end of the consist for when it pulls in, as there is more coaches on the back than the front of the train set to choose from). Keep in mind there is a "Quiet Car" aboard Acela Express. Not sure which car this typically is.

I enjoyed my Downeaster experience. Should have good shoreline views on both trains. Enjoy!

by acela 2036

just going back to what natethegreat said, just take the orange line there. Just make sure that you leave yourself some time to get over there, Orange line trains can be slow sometimes
  by jersey_emt

jp1822 wrote:Keep in mind there is a "Quiet Car" aboard Acela Express. Not sure which car this typically is.
On every Acela trip I've taken (about a dozen or so), the 'Quiet Car' was the car next to the First Class car.

by psct29

Lunch close to Portland's Station is pretty barren, but if your up for a 10 minute walk, hit Anania's Deli on Congress Street for an "Italian" (it would be a three minute walk, but that pesky office complex fencing gets in the way across from the station). Otherwise, get one of Amato's "Italian's" on the DE, with some Legal Clam Chowder and wash it down with a Shipyard.

I wish they had Shipyard in the cafe cars on the rest of Amtrak...in fact if they put the Downeaster's menu on the rest of Amtrak's cafe cars I'd be a happy camper :-D

by shadyjay

psct29 wrote:Lunch close to Portland's Station is pretty barren, but if your up for a 10 minute walk, hit Anania's Deli on Congress Street for an "Italian" (it would be a three minute walk, but that pesky office complex fencing gets in the way across from the station). Otherwise, get one of Amato's "Italian's" on the DE, with some Legal Clam Chowder and wash it down with a Shipyard.

I wish they had Shipyard in the cafe cars on the rest of Amtrak...in fact if they put the Downeaster's menu on the rest of Amtrak's cafe cars I'd be a happy camper :-D

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like the perfect lunch. My mouth is watering already!

by truman

Hope I'm not too late, but as for food in Portland, if you don't want to venture down into the city, one of the DE hosts recommends the restaurant in the Double Tree hotel, just down the street from Portland station.

by shadyjay

About an hour ago, i got back from the trip - what a great day. I'll go into details later, but as far as punctuality goes....
66 arrived ahead of schedule (5 mins or so)
681 arrived about 5 mins down
684 arrived about 15 mins down
2193 (acela) arrived 2 mins early
SLE arrived 20 mins late

Most crowded train was 66 between PVD and BOS. 684 was also crowded (Red Sox and a concert at the Garden). 2194 (Acela) was empty. I'm sure a lot of people took the whole week off.

Thanks for the cafe suggestions - the Amatos Italian and Shipyard really hit the spot!

Details to follow.

by shadyjay

Trip report now posted.... go to

http://www.shadyjay.com/rail/railtrips.html

The trip reports from this trip are the last 5, towards the bottom of the page. Full details, including what I grabbed about consists, what I saw, etc. Pictures will be up on NERAIL by this weekend.