• UP Conductor Query

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Backtrax

I recently was accepted into AMDG to become a conductor with CSX. However, I am more interested into moving out west where the weather is warmer. How do I go about this with UP? How long does it usually take to be promoted to engineer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

re

by flood152

the only way to get hired with the UP is to apply on the website (uprr.com). It took 6 months for me to get the job after I submitted my apllication. As for engines service, I was accepted after one year of service...I am currently in my 4 week of engine service. Good luck.

by SteelWheels21

Right now you're looking at about a year to get into engine service. You'll probably be "cut back" to conductor once you qualify, but you'll have your promotion date for when you can finally hold a spot.

If you're looking for an easy in, UP is dying for people in North Platte, NE...we had a 10K relocation offer in our unit for people wanting a change of scenery. Besides having the largest classification yard in the world, North Platte is also dirt cheap to live in, from what I saw. Your railroad money will afford you the life of a king LOL...

by cifn2

what is engine service vs conductor? Care to explain?

by flood152

cifn2 wrote:what is engine service vs conductor? Care to explain?
Engine service=locomotive engineer.

by slchub

Go for it. Apply on-line. I did from Atlanta, GA. I had to fly out twice to two different hiring sessions but I was hired in Salt Lake City being 1800 miles east. But also look at your moving costs. Will it cost less to spend the $5K for school and stay put rather than flying out, find a place to stay, moving, etc? Why do you want to move? Once I hired out it took about 12 months to promote up to Hogger. It has slowed down some as far as classes go. They were having them just about every month or so. But now they are so saturated with engineers that they have created enhanced training boards where the newly qualified engineers run with a seasoned hogger as Pilots until they are needed.