• UP 844

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by patrick1467

I am not posting this to stir up DonPevsner or anybody else.

I would like to relate a rather unique experience as a railfan.

I did have the priviledge this past weekend to see the UP 844 Steamer. You can read about the event at:
http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/railroad/2 ... dule.shtml

I waited for at least an hour with quite a few others at Union Station in Denver on this past Saturday evening. I was there on Friday too to check things out and found a UP Souvenier Car. The steamer was on display Friday but I did not realize where it was and I was tired so I did not look to hard.

Anyway, the point of my posting, is to say that it was really cool to be there when the train rolled in to the station. There were 17-18 passenger cars with power cars and other support cars. These were all Rio Grande cars and diesels. They were all beautifully painted yellow and seemed to be in great condition. The 844 was awsome and in all its glory, I would say.

Tickets were available to the general public and I heard they sold out in one day. I do not know how many or if some were given to groups. I heard they sold for around $250, round trip I think.

Afterwards, I did imagine that it might still be cool if we had passenger service run by several railroads. But, they don't and they do not consider it to be valuable for their business to do that so when UP does run these "Specials" it really is special. It was a first for me to see a steamer in operation. Even at the Colorado RR Museum, they only run a steamer a couple times a summer and I could not make it this summer. There was something really special in my experience knowing that that engine went up to Cheyanne and back in one day, even though I did not ride on it.

The engine and the first several support cars turned around prior to arriving at Union Station and train was backed in. We all started by waiting on the north end of the platform and then someone heard on the scanner that the engine was being turned around so they could back in to the station. Well, many of us ending up moving off of the platform and walking up the track a little ways. They backed the cars into their spot and then pulled the engine up, switched tracks and parked on the next track at the station for the engine to be on display on Sunday. It was scheduled to return to Cheyanne Monday morning.

So, now I have that unique experience in my background as I hope to someday have career as a conductor. I am thankful for the little things in life and this would be one.

Well, I hope this helps if you have an interest and could not be there to see it in person.

by UPRR engineer

Gotta ya beat, i've saw both our steam engines double headed blast off out of Green River with a passenger special to Roseville (i think). I just got off a midnight job as a brakemen or switchmen, turned my hand held to the road channel to hear the conversation between the two engineers. As soon as they gotter all moving i heard: "Hello 844"..."844 over"..."HIGHBALL" Feeling the vibrations threw my chest and whole body was something else as they both skinned the cat.

Everytime i've saw any passenger special leave GR i get jealous as hell.
E9's, DD40, steam, Olympic Torch Relay, i wanna be in the seat. "Clear the path.... this train's on FIRE!!!"

by TB Diamond

Waited at Union, CO with a BN hopper train for then-8444 heading up a westbound passenger special back in the early 1980s. It had been a long trip up from Denver and the wait was well over an hour. However, to see that engine fly by at 60 per was well worth the wait. Best part was, I had my camera with me and the light was perfect.

by GN 599

It dont matter how you cut it, steam is steam. Listening to the 3985 whistle off for a bunch of small crossings way out in the middle of the woods was awesome. Then blasting by at track speed with the WP (UP) 1982 and another diesel in tow she looked sooo fine.....stupid diesels. :P
  by ic9623

Man I sure wish the UP would run there steam through Sullivan ,IL again! It has been at least 10 years since 844 and the Challenger came through.
  by DonPevsner

I agree with this post on the glory of steam. I was on a double-headed
UP excursion from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne some years ago
(the train was returning from Sacramento), with both #844 and #3985.
We had a photo runby on Sherman Hill that had to be seen to be believed.
Too bad the UP of today couldn't care less about running over the
former D&RGW from Denver to Grand Junction. Maybe someone else
can pull this off with Davidson's replacement, but I am out of it for good.

by UPRR engineer

Let it go Don. Hope thats the last time you bring that up.