• UP 844 crew?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by jsm8

Does anyone know who is crewing the current UP 844 steam excursion through KS & OK? They went past my loft in Wichita KS this morning, and my girlfriend saw someone that she thinks she knows among the crew.

by shadowrider43

The UP 844 is crewed out of Cheyenne, Wyoming.

by Burner

but since the crew cant be qualified system wide they call pilots out of wherever they are at that time.

by unionpacific4018

Burner wrote:but since the crew cant be qualified system wide they call pilots out of wherever they are at that time.
Yeah they have pilots who sit behind the engineer because UP can't make sure that each pilot system wide qualified to operate either of the steam locomotives.

by pennsy

Hi,

Steve Lee, is the Manager of Steam Operations, although he also has the 6936, and he usually runs 844, or 3985. The Nystroms also do their thing on both engines, and basically the crew that travels with the engine, or engines, are also the people that care and maintain the engines. They can make repairs when needed wherever.

by Burner

lol... yea...

if the pilot if operating the train, hes not really a pilot anymore
  by longtimeonUP

Alan J said:

"Steve Lee, is the Manager of Steam Operations, although he also has the 6936, and he usually runs 844, or 3985. The Nystroms also do their thing on both engines, and basically the crew that travels with the engine, or engines, are also the people that care and maintain the engines. They can make repairs when needed wherever."

Yes, Steve is the Manager. However, there is only one Nystrom who works on the Locomotives, that is Lynn. He is a qualified UP Engineer. Lynn's wife Mary works in the Sherman Hill assisted by her Mother. Mary is not a UP employee.

The conductor that travels with the train is Reed Jackson. Others on the crew are Rick Braunschweig, Curt Schnitzer, Chris Havner, Ed Dickens. These are all UP TE&Y (Train, Engine & Yard) Employees.

The Mechanical Forces who travel with the locomotives are assigned to the UP Steam Shop in Cheyenne. They have their own equipment car, the Art Lockman.

A pilot is not called for the Steam Train. A pilot infers one person. Steve generally calls a full crew to travel with the train across the districts that they cover. For example, a crew is called for the Cheyenne to North Platte leg, a crew is called for the North Platte to Marysville leg, a crew is called for the Marysville to Kansas City leg, etc. to their final destination. Steve has always been quite adamant about having a full crew as it negates any Union beefs that may develop along the way.
  by Burner

ughhh....

They are pilots, They are not primarily there to operate the train, only to offer knowledge about the territory and terrain.

Of course there is a full crew of pilots called... A conductor pilot is also neccesary if there is anything to be done in a yard or other areas on the ground that the steam conductor wouldnt be familiar with.
  by longtimeonUP

Sorry Jason,

I've got to disagree.

Most of the time the "Pilots" sit in the tool car while Steve or Lynn and their firemen do the work. They are really just what I said initially. Crews called to keep the locals satisfied.

Most of the employees called for duty on the steam trains don't like the smoke, heat, noise or ride of the locomotives and get off of it as soon as they can and retire to easier circumstances.

As for a Conductor Pilot, you might as well ask for the Moon. Most of the time there are so many officials around that even if a Conductor Pilot was called he wouldn't have a chance to do his work as it would be done for him.

In many of the areas visited the Steam Crew has been there before and knows where they are going. If they're not familiar with the area, they are professional enough to figure it out. The Steam Crew carefully surveys a route before they even attempt it for clearances, long enough switches, access to turning facilities, etc. This is all done before a wheel turns so there are no nasty surprises. So as I said before, the called crew usually rides somewhere clean and quiet and leaves the Steam Crew to do its job.

You can argue with me all you want, but I speak from experience because I've been there, done that.
  by Gadfly

It's basically the same when Southern/NS ran steam trains. The duty crew called off the "board" or that "claims out", that's done because they have Union rights over the division. It's done by Seniority just as, I assume, it's done on UP. How you LIKED being called to protect the steam train depended on your outlook! The regular steam crew that maintained and operated the engines (out of Irondale, Al) was with the thing all the time. Something I can imagine would get pretty tiresome being that they were away from home most of the steam season. I'd have to agree with longtimeUP that it would be HOT, dirty, tiresome. Some of the NS people dreaded the steam trains, others either didn't mind, OR even used their Seniority to CLAIM the job. Like one old "runner" that ran the Southern Crescent over the Piedmont Division North End. He was a qualified steam engineer and LOVED it. He was #1 on the engineer roster and could claim out any job he wanted so he usually was on any steam extra that come onto the Division. :-D

I was a line-of-road Clerk,and was involved in the train movements, orders, line-ups and most of the time, while the steam trains were a curiosity, many of us would mark off to avoid them if we could. Why? Because they created such a ruckus when they were on station! It was a literal MADHOUSE of people and foamers with striped overalls, fake RR pocket watches, and clothing filled with patches of every road under the sun! Many of these would regale you with questions we couldn't, or really didn't WANT to, answer! :( You couldn't perform the normal yard office duties what with the wild-eyed, excited railbuffs, the noise, the crowd, and the telephone ringing off the hook! LORD HAVE MERCY!
I DID ride the steam trains a couple of times during a furlough and a couple times, I used them to get back home from an assignment, riding on the engine (4-8-4). Being summer, it was HOT, dirty, LOUD, and rough-riding, and I think I bounced up and down all night long because I got up the next morning so tired, it was just unreal. Talk about a hard-riding "loping" engine!!!!! :-)

Gadfly
  by Burner

Well they're still called PILOTS here :D Same thing with Amtrak when they run a detour thru Iowa on the UP

And its not seniority, its a pool job... Supposedly whoever is 1st out gets it whether they want it or not. I have heard of crews getting hand picked before for certain special trains.

As far as managers throwing switches and whatnot? Well I've got things to say about that, but Ill save that for another time.
  by longtimeonUP

Call them what you want to. It makes no difference in their pay because they are just paid whatever miles they would usually get.

Yup, some guys would use their senority to be on the crew between two certain points. Those were usually the ones that were so yakky that the engine crew couldn't get any of their work done due to the old heads regaling you with stories of how good they were (actually, most of them only hostled steamers at the end). I have seen crews hand picked as well, but as long as they were extra. rested and first out who cares?

As far as managers throwing switches? No matter what your opinion, Try to stop them....
  by Bart78

I followed that train northbound from Duncan OK to Chickasha OK where it overnighted and was open for tours. The funniest thing I saw about the crew was one of them was wearing a name badge that said "I am NOT Steve Lee".
  by pennsy

That probably was Lynn Nystrom.
  by UPRR engineer

Hate to lock this one, enough of what the extra crew does on a steam special. As with everything about railroading, every trip is different one way or another no matter how small it is. To prove the point..... theres been a few engineers here that got some throttle time....